Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

increase torrent download speed plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoandrewson

hey friends, i have utorrent as my p2p client. i have forwarded my port and also configured my firewall. but i'm getting terrible (10 kb/s) download speed on 1 Mbps bandwidth. plz help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't P2P stand for Pirate-to-Pirate, or something like that? I've stayed away from that stuff, so not sure how it works. Heard about it on the news a few times, all bad stuff...

HarveyH42 said:
Doesn't P2P stand for Pirate-to-Pirate, or something like that? I've stayed away from that stuff, so not sure how it works. Heard about it on the news a few times, all bad stuff...
stands for peer to peer and its a wonderful stuff..............;)

your download speed mainly depends on the source (where it comes from) and it's upload speed (which is usually lower than its download speed)

i dont think there is a way to speed up downloads, other than finding a better source

P2P is blocked here in my university campus. The client program still says "downloading" but the speed is always several bytes per second, even worse than a 9600bps UART connection... I never finished downloading anything by P2P before.

I have downloaded things using utorrent (even files bigger than 400mb)

neoandrewson said:
hey friends, i have utorrent as my p2p client. i have forwarded my port and also configured my firewall. but i'm getting terrible (10 kb/s) download speed on 1 Mbps bandwidth. plz help me!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want to download a p0rn film that badly just leave it downloading overnight!

HarveyH42 said:

slightly ignorant... Torrent is a fantastic tech and is used for quite a few legitamit means and all are todo with main server bandwidth
1) Linux distrobutions tend to be distributed by torrents so share the load
2) more and more game makers are providing torrent for their patchs & demo's

WIth HTTP & FTP transfer from central servers the more and more that connect the slower and slowe it gets
However.. With Torrents the more and more that connect, the faster and fast it gets

@OP there could be a number of reasons you have a slow download
1) how many people are seeding the torrent (utorrent should tell you)
2) your ISP packet-shaping, try changing the default port and encripting the packet-data from utorrents prefs

thanks styx, but my download speed is still terrible.. and there are about 50 seeders the last time i saw. is that the reason?

and i have changed the port, portforwarded it and also enabled encryption of the data..

and i wonder how to find better source as mike says..

and there are loads of stuff besides adult contents:)

and still worst is my problem.. i downloaded a game which was in .daa format from past three days (5.47 gb), then i changed the extension to .iso(dumbest thing i did) presuming nero would read it.. now none of the programs read it though it recognizes the iso format.. how do i get back the previous .daa format??:confused:

just simply change the extension back to .daa (the same way you changed it to iso)

you may need to go to tools>folder options> view and un-tick "hide extensions for known file types"

whoa... thankx mike... it solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thankxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Styx said:
slightly ignorant... Torrent is a fantastic tech and is used for quite a few legitamit means and all are todo with main server bandwidth
1) Linux distrobutions tend to be distributed by torrents so share the load
2) more and more game makers are providing torrent for their patchs & demo's

WIth HTTP & FTP transfer from central servers the more and more that connect the slower and slowe it gets
However.. With Torrents the more and more that connect, the faster and fast it gets

@OP there could be a number of reasons you have a slow download
1) how many people are seeding the torrent (utorrent should tell you)
2) your ISP packet-shaping, try changing the default port and encripting the packet-data from utorrents prefs

I'm not that ignorant, more sarcastic then anything else. I'm sure there many uses for P2P, other then what is reported on the news, otherwise they'd get shut down. I believe Napster is still around... But to be realistic, the majority of users use it to save money on stuff most people have to pay for, and to view Adult-Themed-Media (some of which could never be purchased legally).

Oh, not sure if this applies... But before the internet, we used BBS, and there were download ratios, to keep things fair. We wanted people to contribute once in a while, rather than continuously tie-up the phone line downloading anything and everything. Perhaps they have something like that...

Not really. Whenever you download something you become a seeder for it too automatically- unless you purposely stop seeding each and every completed file you just downloaded manually. That makes you an ass though.

So if you remove the completed files, youe downloads would be faster, as there would be less seeds to upload and steal bandwith. Considering the 'leach' problem on the bbs... I'd be inclined to think there would be some kind of control to keep it honest. Faster downloads for the good seeders, and snail's pace for the leaches...

I too use utorrent. It is great. I also have speed issues. :( I have forwarded the ports multiple times (different ports, of course! :D) My speeds usually linger around 0-30. :( I just finished downloading OpenSUSE 10.2 yesterday. Average speed was like 11KB/s. It sucks. I cannot find any ways to make it go faster! The little icon at the bottom is green (finally), so peers can connect to me, but speeds are still crap.

I think it has a lot to do with my FAP (Fair Access Policy). Basically, i can only suck so much bandwith for a certain amount of time, and then i am bumped down in speeds (only for a short while).

Ususally i have to rest my crappy linksys router because it cannot handle the amount of traffic i exert on it while torrenting. The damn thing likes to overheat! :mad: I tried making a Linux router using cyote linux and an old AMDK6 proc, but one of my ethernet cards wasn't supported, so i couldn't finish it. :( Oh well...

[on a side note, sorry for the spelling errors. I have moved to Opera, and i have yet to find a spell check that works with it.... perhaps someone knows of one that works?]

Last edited:
I never got intersested, still use dial-up internet, figured it would take days or a week to complete a download. For $50 purchase, I could use the city's free WIFI internet, maybe I should look into it more. Still think it's mainly for MP3s and p0rn...

Torrenting? Just for MP3s and p0rn? HA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That couldn't be further from the truth! Sure, most sites do promote the downloading of prn, but that is why i just use scraptorrent **broken link removed**. No prn ads, and there is a filter! You can get so much more from torrenting. It is more economical. There is less strain on the main server, so everyone is evening out the load.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of reasons for slow torrent downloads:
A saturated upload link. Try reducing the upload rate to 90% of the max upload throughput for your connection.
Some ISPs will limit bandwidth on known torrent ports such as 6881 etc. Try changing the default port numbers so that your torrent client uses something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back