Infrared remote control project

Status
Not open for further replies.

simoncwk

I doing a project Infrared remote control, this remote control are use to control the lighting system at home. The remote control are able to switch on and off the light. It also can control the light intensity using the switches. Anyone has any idea for which type of the MCU can be use? It can be either PIC or Zilog Z8? Any ideas how this project can be start?

i actually did something like this.. You need a pic with PWM on it some relays either a buch of wire or separate receivers. For the intensity im not sure you need to mod or purchase some type of dimmer...

Look at some of my post for some hints

Last edited:
For the TX I suggest using an existing TV or VCR remote.

For the RX use a PIC and an IR reciever to decode the info from the remote.
As AtomSoft said see Nigels tutorial.

Thank you everyone for the advices,
atomsoft are you willing to share the project did you done?
I really don't how to start it at the first as i am newbie for PIC MCU
Really thank you if you willing to share

I would be willing to help but i recommend you start learning by using Nigels tutorials like get your hands on a couple of 16F628's at least 2 - 3

1 - 16F628 is for IR Transmitter
1 - 16F628 is for IR Receiver
1 - 16F628 is a spare

You dont have to build his tutorials exactly as him but a good choice would be to copy his and modify it since you are a beginner(i am also a beginner) but i understand enough now to help others i guess.

You need to make a list of things like be organized. What do you want to control exactly..
How many lights?
Im not sure how to do the dimming part i would love to know that. Me being new i would have done something stupid (creative) like putting a stepper motor on a normal dimmer.

If you just follow his tutorial and ask question you will find it easier. Trust me. You can ask questions when you need help and i will help and many others without hesitation.

So i guess its shopping time.

Go here and make a part list you need to make 2 of these

and 2 of these

We all will be here to help you along the way just get stuff ready ok

EDIT:
Like 3v0 said you could always use an existing remote like a Universal Remote you can buy for like $6 at most places. And just make the Receiver.

Last edited:
Atomsoft i want to ask some question about the light voltage,
How many voltage that the circuit can power up?
I means what kind of voltage ranger i can choose for the bulb?
Basically i want to get it work on one light first.
I still finding the 16F628 chips because it is hardly found in Malaysia
by the way i from Malaysia.

You mean IR LED or the output Light (230v AC)?

To a 230V light I'll use a TRIAC.The TRIAC contains how much power it can handle.

Well the IR Led i think can handle like 2-3v would be best but check datasheet and for the actual light bulb it depends on the relay you use. Look at:
DPDT 5V relay - dipmicro electronics

"Subminiature DPDT 5V DIP relay. COntact rating 1A @ 125VAC or 2A @ 30VDC. Life 500,000 operations, dielectric strength 1,500VAC."

That can handle 125V AC @ 1 A Max Current. Or 30v DC @ 2A Max Current. So it depends on the relay really...

But like Gayan said "TRIAC" is something you are going to want to look into. I will now lol

TRIAC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I just brought 2 chips of 16F628A, what is the different between 16F628 with 16F628A, it is the same coding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…