Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which MCU for translating usb-midi to control LED lighting?

I been using Wled it does about anything you'd want to do with led lighting and it has midi too

So my question is( finally): is there a mosfet driver that can reliably be controlled using a 3.3 volt logic signal without using level shifters or micro-soldering on a brand new board to solve their false claims?
Only if they have level shifter built in most not going to work good with signal lower then 3.7 volts

WLED is great for slowly controlling effects on addressable LEDs. I use it for my studio shelf lighting. Does not really apply though as a solution for controlling analog led lamps. And a search of the WLED website shows no mention of MIDI.

Only if they have level shifter built in most not going to work good with signal lower then 3.7 volts
Yes, i am realizing that level/logic conversion/shifting may be my best option. When choosing a 3.3v-->5v device, does it matter if its called logic convertor or level shifter? same same? and what does "npn to pnp" mean?
This sounds appealing due to the opto isolation...

Just remove Optocoupler and replace with a better on on the driver board ones i looked had a Optocoupler that not going to work well at 3 volts they was spec to use 20 mA at 5 volts
At 3 volt your 12 mA probably not going to work well with pwm

interesting fork, but they've been working on that a long time, and the latest commit is an untested midi script written by chatGPT. that tells me its not ready for prime time, and is likely designed for simple midi to led displays (like lighting up a 60 led strip along a 63-key keyboard.), if it ever works at all.

It's also based on serial-midi, which I just spent about 198 hours proving doesn't work with midi drum signals in python, and I used chatGPT, CoPilot, and Codeium to write & test over 350 variations of 92 scripts, trying everything from pigpio, to rpi_ws281x, neopixel, etc. Never got a reliable pattern of notes translating into lights.

The fault lies in Roland's pursuit of emulating the real drum's finesse: their kit's sensitivity is phenomenal, but the midi chain that creates that realism is a nightmare to work with.

Last edited:
Just remove Optocoupler and replace with a better on on the driver board ones i looked had a Optocoupler that not going to work well at 3 volts they was spec to use 20 mA at 5 volts
At 3 volt your 12 mA probably not going to work well with pwm
Can i just use one of these little guys?
I've seen chris maher on YT explain how to connect, but i wonder if it's safe for the Pi, since there's no isolation. Can 5v retrograde fry a GPIO pin? lol

It should work the way it works if you hook it up right there shouldn't be a problem it clamps the 3.3 to 3.3 and the 5 to 5
The PI can source 8 mA per pin

I don't see it over sourcing the PI

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back