Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Infrared transmitter/receiver for sky in another room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David R

Hi, Is it possible for someone to help me to build an infrared transmitter and receiver, so that I can change channels on my sky decoder from a different room. I'm no electronics wizard but I am an electrician with a few basic skills. I already have screened cables to each of the two rooms concerned and any power supply is not a problem, Thanks.

since you have shielded cable running between the rooms , i would prefer a repeater sort of arrangement . ie capture the ir from the remote , convert it to amplified electrical signal , retransmit it in the other room .

or -- may be palce a mirror to 'properly' reflect the IR between the rooms :)

since you have shielded cable running between the rooms , i would prefer a repeater sort of arrangement . ie capture the ir from the remote , convert it to amplified electrical signal , retransmit it in the other room .
UMMMM... I think that is what he wants do do. Read his post again.;)

The Sky box already has everything inside to do this, you simply need a "Magic Eye", these are freely available in UK TV shops, or direct from Sky. You MUST connect it to the RF2 output, and turn the power on in the installation menu, this sends 9V up the coax to feed the magic eye, along with the UHF TV signal. The magic eye sends an RF carrier back down the coax to control the box.

The picture menu of the box also has seperate aspect ratio settings for RF1 and RF2, so you can set them to suit your TV's - the output is the same for both, but it will switch according to which remote you use.

It's ABSOLUTELY vital that all coax connections from RF2 are crimped or soldered, otherwise you get problems intermittent power to the magic eye - and if it goes through splitters or amplifiers, these MUST be specifically designed for use with a magic eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back