Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverter speed/power ramp and IGBT response

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustintheworld

I've tried searching the web but haven't found anything that answers my problem..

Are IGBTs conditioned by a speed/power ramp from an inverter?
What I mean is, does it matter if I reach full power on my inverter within 5 seconds or if I do it in 10 minutes. As full power I'm talking about 1MW.

Does the IGBT component need a "warm-up" time or can it work to its full potentials immediately?

I know the question doesn't sound that complicated but its one of those things that if you can't figure out an answer it keep on bothering you ;)

Thanks all for your help! :)

What I mean is, does it matter if I reach full power on my inverter within 5 seconds or if I do it in 10 minutes. As full power I'm talking about 1MW.
Does the IGBT component need a "warm-up" time or can it work to its full potentials immediately?

No, at 1MW you should be concerned about cooling the device rather than warming it up :)
5 seconds or 10 minute "warm-up" matters only to the devices that use the power. Is this a Wind Turbine? 1MW is a lot..

Yes it is a wind turbine.. :)
The IGBT temperature doesn't go over 26°C.. Its water cooled..
My doubt is if the ramp I'm using right now is too fast, because I've had some unreasonable IGBT blasts
Thank you again for your quick reply

Blowing up IGBT's has nothing to do with warm up time but rather over voltage and over current spiking issues or horribly slow switching times.

What I want to understand is if I set a speed/current ramp lets say for example:
10rpm - 200A
12rpm - 300A
13rpm - 400A and so on..
and in a second case if I use a ramp like this one:
10rpm - 100A
12rpm - 1000A
wouldn't this stress the component?

I think this "ramp up time" has to do more with moving turbine parts, and blades, and nothing with electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back