inverters 12v to 230

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpj111

I have faced new problem on my car inverter.
I have my lap top charger 230 to 18V , I can use it with out any problem at home power outlet or in another car inverter outlet.
But when I plug it into me car inverter outlet , I cannot use mouse ( not moving), but can charge the battery, then I have to unplug the inverter to use the mouse to work my laptop.
How inverer affect to the function of my laptop.

Is there any EMW interfearence generated by inverter.
What is the frequence or power cycle of inverter ( 50, 60 or something else)

Much appreciate your help.
Please let me know if my question is not clear, i will try to give more detais as much as I can

we don't know if you have a good inverter or a cheap inverter that has poor performance.

The mains electricity is low frequency sine-waves. Low frequency sine-waves do not cause interference. A good inverter makes sine-waves.
But a cheap inverter makes square-waves that are full of interference.

I belive my inverter does not generate good sine wave.
How do I select good inverter . There are expensive one, but I donot know good or bad.
How do I select ( what is specification , technical data etc ) or find good inverter from bad.
price goes up with the amount of wattage( power), but still need to
find it produce good sine wave.

A cheap inverter has a square-wave output which is OK to drive incandescent light bulbs, heaters and simple electric motors that do not have a speed control circuit.
A pure sine-wave inverter costs a little more but works perfectly for almost any load.

I am in Canada where the electricity is reliable. I do not go camping, fishing nor hunting so I do not need and have never used an inverter.

There are inexpensive (but maybe they are cheap) Chinese-made inverters that have a pure sine-wave output. One guy took apart one to discover modern Texas Instruments ICs and Mosfets.

Thanks for the comments, We are using inverters in our service van, to charge our laptops, battery charger, mobile phone, somtime we use circuler saw and drill etc.

Some inverters in Van, workin ok, only found the problem in one inverter in one van.
I belive it is a cheeper one written on it as "modified sinewave", I do not know it means anything or just a trade name.

A "modified sine-wave" is really a modified square-wave with two steps in it.
The peak voltage of a square-wave is much lower than the peak voltage of a sine-wave so electronic products might not work but the average voltages are the same so heaters and incandescent lights work fine.
The peak voltage of a modified sine-wave and the average voltage are almost the same as a sine-wave so some electronic products work if they do not care about the harmonics.

Attachments

• Modified sine-wave.PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 144
You could try filtering the output of a cheap inverter by tuning the output transformer. If you can get an isolation transformer at a low enough price to make it worthwhile, you can put a cap across one or more windings to tune it to 50Hz. The inverter is already filtered to some extent so you are actually just adding one or two additional polls to the existing output filter. That should be enough to get you within one or two percent of total harmonic distortion which is about as good as it gets for inverters.

Is it a wireless mouse? If so, try a wired one.

You could try modifying the inverter so that it puts out DC.

The inverter probably uses a flyback transformer to convert the 12 V DC to about 200 V dc. It then uses an H-bridge to convert that to modified sine, as Audioguru explained.

Your laptop power supply immediately uses a bridge rectifier to convert the modified sine back to 200 V dc. If you bypass the H-bridge, and supply the laptop power supply with DC, you are removing a major noise source.

Just about all switch mode power supplies can run on DC. Switch mode power supplies are generally small and lightweight for their power, and also have a wide input voltage range. If the power supply says 100 - 240 V input, it is almost certain to work fine on DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…