Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR Led

Status
Not open for further replies.

bemaitea2

Hello there,

New to the forums, but pretty excited to get started on a few projects.
I recently just broke my bones making a wireless Wii sensor bar and a component video to HD15 through a Cat5 cable.

I'm by no means an EE, but I just have an interest in this sort of stuff.

I want to get started on my next project which I want to make a sort of silent alarm system. The concept is that upon closing a circuit, an IR signal is sent to a receiver which would light up an LED.

I designed this circuit, I'm sure it requires alot of teaking.

**broken link removed**

I'm really going into this one blind, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I simply drew the circuit, didn't you? I bet the square thing is the IR emitter while the (X) is the LED?
It is already a closed loop for the circuit at the left hand side. With the switch opened, the IR emitter will be burned because no current limiting resistor. With the switch closed, all the current flow from +ve to the -ve and the battery will get hot and die quickly.
For the RHS, without receiving anything the LED will be turned on but will not last long.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor

Revised circuit.

**broken link removed**

Still not sure of the recieving end, I was hoping that by reciving a signal, the receiver would act like a switch itself. Are you saying thats not possible?

Last edited:
Component video to HD15 isn't exactly an electonics project, you just connect the right wires. A remote wii sensor bar is nothing more than a battery in line with two IR emitters on either end of the bar, hopefully with a limiting resistor or two.. Reliable sensing of a remote IR signal is a totally different matter. Over any distance ambient light is going to be a problem, most IR emitters/sensors that work like this send modulated IR light (like a TV remote) so the detector knows when a real signal is present not junk.

Sceadwian said:
Component video to HD15 isn't exactly an electonics project, you just connect the right wires. A remote wii sensor bar is nothing more than a battery in line with two IR emitters on either end of the bar, hopefully with a limiting resistor or two.. Reliable sensing of a remote IR signal is a totally different matter. Over any distance ambient light is going to be a problem, most IR emitters/sensors that work like this send modulated IR light (like a TV remote) so the detector knows when a real signal is present not junk.

Beleive me, for a marine biologist who's last physics class was back as an undergrad, modding a Wii or making component cables is pretty different from my knowledge base, as evinced by my pretty crude circuitry.

I just find these things interesting.

As far as IR, maybe another method to wirelessly transmit a signal? RF perhaps? I really don't know much about this at all so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back