Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR legislation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant9985

hi, im currently doing a project where i am building an infrared object detector, and i have to write about legislation. could anyone help me? iv had a look on the internet but not found anything. also if anyone knows what i could write for standards, i would be most greatful, i would ask my tutor but hes grouchy :? thnx in advance :roll:

ant9985 said:
hi, im currently doing a project where i am building an infrared object detector, and i have to write about legislation. could anyone help me? iv had a look on the internet but not found anything. also if anyone knows what i could write for standards, i would be most greatful, i would ask my tutor but hes grouchy :? thnx in advance :roll:

If you're asking about legislation, don't you think it might be a good idea to fill your location in?.

Legislation varies widely from country to country!.

However, as far as IR goes, I don't see any reason for there to be any legislation about it.

All transmitters which emit RF have to comply with legal regs on interference with other devices. Lasers have to meet eye safety rules. Ultrasonic is unregulated. IR is completely unregulated unless it is a laser source (a normal diode is not a laser source).

IrDa, Sony, etc. There are loads of standards (haha, loads of standards, sounds like a Mr B**h we all know) for IR communications, perhaps start there.

IrDa is used on mobile phones and PDA's. Sony and hiatchi (i think) have seperate comms protocols for remote control / tv interface. Thats the only standards i can think of.

The long ligistation i found was that u cant patent any device which comes under this catagory:

Camouflage, decoy and deceptive devices including materials capable of absorbing, reflecting or dissipating electro-magnetic or infra-red radiation.

hehe, so no stealth planes for u.

pittuck said:
IrDa, Sony, etc. There are loads of standards (haha, loads of standards, sounds like a Mr B**h we all know) for IR communications, perhaps start there.

IrDa is used on mobile phones and PDA's. Sony and hiatchi (i think) have seperate comms protocols for remote control / tv interface. Thats the only standards i can think of.

Most manufacturers use their own IR system, Sony for example use SIRC's, but the most popular system is the Philips RC5 system - as Philips are a major component supplier, many manufacturers use their chip sets for remote control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back