IR Receiver with basic motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrpking

Hello! I have tried other forums, but they weren't helpful enough. Anyways, I built an infrared receiver that lights an led when an infrared signal is detected. This worked fine. However, I then replaced the LED with a basic motor (1.5-3V) and the motor would not run. I am using an IR Receiver module https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/05/tsop12xx.pdf which has an current output of 5 mA, which I assume is too small for the motor.

How would I amplify the current to the motor? I know I have to use a transistor, but even when I tried it didn't work out.

This should work, but we need more info. Hook the motor directly to the 3V power source, and measure the running current with your DVM. That will determine how big a PNP transistor you will need. Since the tsop can only sink 5mA, the PNP might have to be a Darlington. The resistor value will fall out of that decision.

Attachments

• MotorWiring.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 149
Sorry it took so long! But the running current measured at 1.6 mA. So isn't the TSOP provide enough current? If not could you tell me a proper transistor to buy? Thanks

Sorry it took so long! But the running current measured at 1.6 mA. So isn't the TSOP provide enough current? If not could you tell me a proper transistor to buy? Thanks

If the motor current were only 1.6mA then is should work without a driver. I'm suspicious that your motor runs on such very low currents. I would have expected more like 160mA????

That's what I thought.. but this isn't true. I could try a few transistors and go with that. But what do I look for when choosing a transistor?

Are absolutely sure you measured the running current of the motor correctly?

Are you connecting the motor between the TSOP's output pin and its Vs (positive supply pin)?

A TSOP IR receiver is designed to output remote control pulses, not drive a motor.
The infrared Tx must send "bursts" of its ultrasonic carrier frequency so that the AGC in the Rx does not attenuate because of possible continuous interference from a compact fluorescent light bulb. Then you must peak-detect the bursts of data output to continuously drive the motor.

A tiny low power motor used to vibrate a pager or open and close a CD tray is about 15cm long and 6mm in diameter and runs at about 14mA from 3.6V or 11mA from 3V and is used to propel one of my electric RC model airplanes.

I tested out the receiver with an led and that worked fine. I found out the correct running current which is 240 mA.

A LED lights with the 5mA from the IR receiver.
A motor draws more than its running current when it starts running and when it is driving a load.
You need a high gain transistor to power the motor and proper modulation of the IR transmitter.

I tested out the receiver with an led and that worked fine.

If you use a proper IR remote transmitter per Audioguru's post, like from your TV, you could get more reliable operation and range. However, then you would have to build a decoder to hang between the TSOP and you motor switch. AFIK, you get a single pulse out of the TSOP every time you turn off the IR LED, right?

I found out the correct running current which is 240 mA.

To switch 1/4A with only 5mA, you need to use a PNP Darlington like a TIP115.
Emitter is wired to Vsupply, Base to the TSOP output, Collector to one end of the motor; other end of the motor to ground, per my original diagram. Use a base resistor of 1K.

What battery/power supply are you using? 1/4A will kill a small battery very quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…