IR sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakes21

Can i use the IR leds of a mouse to detect a movement?like if i place it at my bedroom door and a walk pass it.will it detect me?hope it make sense

An optical mouse might detect a person that is 1mm away. Somebody walking past your door might be 1000 times or more away. It needs a high gain amplifier to do it.

Do u mean like an opamp?is there any calculations to what opamp or amplifier is reqired?am i wasting my time using IR?

Use a more powerful IR tranmitter. You can use one that you would commonly find on a garage door system or other similar device. Or more cheaper are commercial IR LEDs that will transmit at long distances. I'm not sure about the mouse. The IR LED in your TV remote would even work.

Last edited:
A PIR (passive infrared) motion detector has a corrugated lens that feeds an IR detector. Motion causes the IR radiation from a person to make an AC signal due to the corrugations in the lens which is amplified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…