Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it worth getting a laptop or a PC for a home business.

Which is better a lap top or pc

• PC

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • laptop

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoyta22

I am trying to start my home business and am to the part where i need to get a need computer. This computer wont be moving much so i don't really need a laptop. I'm still wondering if it is better to get a laptop or a PC for this.:sorry:

I prefer to look at tw0 large screens instead of one small one.

I prefer to type on a full size keyboard with no mouse pad in the middle of it.

I Like having PCI slots instead of PCMCIA.

I like having real Serial ports, real parallel ports, more than two USB ports,

Speakers that sound like speakers instead of a sting and tin can...

get my drift?

For a stationary application, PC is usually much better. The only two drawbacks is that it takes more space and uses more power.

Depends what type of business. Typically, if you would need your laptop when going to clients, laptop is the answer. But since you say it won't be moving a lot, then get a desktop. You get more bang for your buck with a desktop pc. Especially if you're going to drawing up plans etc, you can go for a nice big screen :)

I like having real Serial ports, real parallel ports, more than two USB ports,

I don't think any new desktop PCs have serial (RS-232) or parallel (Centronics) ports anymore, just USB. But I'm sure you can add PCI boards with that capability, even add a floppy disc controller and reader if you really want to go retrograde. :cool:

I don't think any new desktop PCs have serial (RS-232) or parallel (Centronics) ports anymore, just USB. But I'm sure you can add PCI boards with that capability, even add a floppy disc controller and reader if you really want to go retrograde. :cool:

Hey, I just splurged and bought a desktop from NAU's surplus store. Dual CPU, 4G of memory, 300G Hard drive, serial port, parallel port, with a fresh install of XPpro for $80.

Oh, and I bought 2 LCD monitors for $5ea, and a HP Color Laser printer (with cartridges) for $10. All work like new. Being a bottom-feeder has its advantages.

I use the hdmi cable to hook up to and even larger 2nd monitor. but yes, lots more bang for the $ in a desktop.

My computer is relatively new. It had a COM1 connector, but I had to connect a break-away cable.

I am trying to start my home business and am to the part where i need to get a need computer. This computer wont be moving much so i don't really need a laptop. I'm still wondering if it is better to get a laptop or a PC for this.:sorry:

You make no mention of what software or business applications you plan to run. You buy a computer based on needs and how well it will run and display your intended applications. For much of what I do I like dual monitors, however, since you make no mention of what you plan to do or use a computer I really can't suggest much other than what suits me for my applications.

MIKE MI:
Hey, I just splurged and bought a desktop from NAU's surplus store.

I do believe my rather strange brother taught there for a short time. Fortunately for him and NAU a real short time. :)

Ron

Last edited:
What kind of home business? For basic office work (email, word, excel etc.) a laptop with a good keyboard is not a bad choice. Just make sure that the keyboard (and mouse/touchpad/whatever) is good. You can take it with you when necessary etc. I have worked in a small software company where everybody used laptops.. no problem.

That said, I would not buy a laptop. I like my big screen and good keyboard and a separate mouse.. other than that, I could do all my work with laptop, but I'd rather not. That is my personal preference. My girlfriend has always had a laptop. She worked through school of economics and did her masters using a laptop. I would go mad if I'd have to write more than few pages using a laptop.

Last edited:
Hey, I just splurged and bought a desktop from NAU's surplus store. Dual CPU, 4G of memory, 300G Hard drive, serial port, parallel port, with a fresh install of XPpro for $80.

Oh, and I bought 2 LCD monitors for $5ea, and a HP Color Laser printer (with cartridges) for $10. All work like new. Being a bottom-feeder has its advantages.

Hi,

Wow that sounds pretty cheap. What kind of guarantee do they give you?

The main difference between Notebook and PC is a Notebook is more portable so if you have to take all your data with you a Notebook would be best, but if not then a PC is definitely better. Most people go with PC's unless they have to carry it with them for school or work or to visit a client.

One thing nice about a Notebook is you can use a USB camera just about anywhere as long as your Notebook has a USB port and supports USB cameras. Try that with a PC and you have to either run a long wire or carry a portable power source with you and that could be a real pain.
One thing that comes to mind here in particular is a USB oscilloscope. If you have only a scope that is USB then you need a computer, and if you have to go on a field service trip or visit a client where you have to take scope measurements then you are beat unless the client has a PC close by or a Notebook of their own. If you want to do measurements without that then you need a Notebook.
This is also true of any other USB type instruments that need a USB port to do anything.

Then there are now the Tablet Computers too which are interesting but the USB compatibility is a little questionable sometimes. For example, mine does a whole bunch of stuff for USB but wont do a camera which is very disappointing.

When I first started up on my own, I used a large laptop for a few years.
That way when I was out and about on business, I had everything with me.

After a couple of awkward moments recovering from various laptop breakages, dying disc drive, dead screen, it became clear that I did not need everything when I was out and about.
So, in the office I have a desktop machine which is where most of the work is done.
Then when I have to go out, I just copy what I need to a small light laptop.
If on my travels the laptop gets a bit bent, I don't have to worry about recovering data as it is still all on the desktop machine in the office.

JimB

...Wow that sounds pretty cheap. What kind of guarantee do they give you?...
None, it is a University Surplus Outlet. However, I have bought five computers there, including 2 Dell Laptops, and they all worked... They check them out, wipe the hard drive, install a fresh OS, and put them up for bid.

A Desktop beats a Laptop in performance - anytime.
The price - more power, space, portability.

Ramesh

Ramesh

Don't know that I would say "anytime". My now about 6 year old laptop running Vista is a Dell Precision M90 Workstation model which has a 17" screen and more computing and graphics power than many comparable desktops of its day. While it won't do what my desktop dual processor workstation will do it will certainly do more than many desktops. The 17 inch screen is also a nice feature.

Ron

While it is just a detail, a common keyboard instead of those in laptops is better for me. Also the possibility to move the monitor at will, separate from the keyboard.

And yes, I still use a mouse, trying to avoid the small pad in in laptops.

Maybe in few months I am facing the necessity to decide as you.

Ramesh

Hi,

Uhmmmn, did you say "portability" ? If so, then you wont mind carrying around my full tower case PC computer. The heavy steel case itself weighs in at about 15 pounds without anything in it yet and it is huge with no handles.
Always meant to add some handles to make it easier to work with.

But then there is the monitor(s). Who wants to carry them around with you as well as the case, keyboard, and mouse. Would be quite a task while a laptop picks up in one fell swoop and would be much lighter.

My little Tablet carries around quite easily weighing in at maybe a pound or so. These things are quite cheap these days too, where you can get one for under 100 dollars USD easy. Too bad it doesnt do everything that the PC can do yet.

Hi,

Uhmmmn, did you say "portability" ? If so, then you wont mind carrying around my full tower case PC computer. The heavy steel case itself weighs in at about 15 pounds without anything in it yet and it is huge with no handles.
Always meant to add some handles to make it easier to work with.

But then there is the monitor(s). Who wants to carry them around with you as well as the case, keyboard, and mouse. Would be quite a task while a laptop picks up in one fell swoop and would be much lighter.

My little Tablet carries around quite easily weighing in at maybe a pound or so. These things are quite cheap these days too, where you can get one for under 100 dollars USD easy. Too bad it doesnt do everything that the PC can do yet.

Maybe my English is bad :(
I thought "Paying a price on Portability" meant Less Portable :oops:

Ramesh

I thought "Paying a price on Portability" meant Less Portable
Yes it does, but that is not what you said.

You said:
Which is a rather ambiguous statement.

It would have been obvious if you had said:

The disadvantages are:
greater power consumption,
requires more space,
lack of portability.

Similarly, your expression "more power" could be incorrectly understood as "more computing power".

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back