Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is my design (Propeller LED) correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hesam Kamalan

Hi,

I've designed propeller LED, for showing Clock, but I don't know is it correct or not.

In this project we have 32 LED for showing clock.
4 Latch for keeping data.
ULN2803 as a buffer
PIC 16F877A and DS1307 RTC

guid me please.

Attachments

• LED Propeller.pdf
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,007
I don't see the reason for using the term "propeller". There's no Propeller chip in there, and the led's are apparently used for a clock - ?

Like 3V0 said, the ULN2803A is unnecessary. You could also save yourself some wiring pains and free up port pins by cascading shift registers instead of using those parallel latches.

Oh, yeah - for persistence of vision you probably wouldn't want the shift registers.

Oh, yeah - for persistence of vision you probably wouldn't want the shift registers.
shift registers are fine in you run them fast enough. If there is still a flicker you just add a transistor to turn off the LEDs while you are shifting.

Dan

...or easier still, just use the parallel output latch.

I was thinking the time delay to load the shift registers was going to be an issue with POV, but on second thought maybe not.

Thank you,

Ok. I'll reject ULN2803A. But, what motor is suitable for my project?
I've searched and I've found that HDD motor is used for rotating the board
(YouTube - the most amazing RGB propeller clock ever seen)

Since the board will rotate, I think, VCC and GND must connect to my board through motor. Witch type of motors you suggest?
I think the weight of board is less than 600g.
I think turqe of 3000RPM is good.
Also I think motor should work with 12v.

I think it is heavy for fan but motor (hard drive) can handle it.
Also I think weight is not more than 300g (I told 600g with heat sink and other components witch may be becom necessary).

Last edited:
You could use a LDO regulator and pre-regulate it's input voltage down to 7 Volts or so. Then you may not even need a heatsink.
You almost have enough IO pins to do away with the latches all together. If you used a PIC with more IO, you could save some weight that way.
One question however. How are you going to set the date and time on your clock?

Last edited:
You could use a LDO regulator and pre-regulate it's input voltage down to 7 Volts or so. Then you may not even need a heatsink.
You almost have enough IO pins to do away with the latches all together. If you used a PIC with more IO, you could save some weight that way.
One question however. How are you going to set the date and time on your clock?

It's not difficult, I have to show three things. Hour-hand, Minute-hand and Second-hand.
In each instant I'll show one of them and I think if I show these three things 30 times in a second, and rotate of 20 turn permin Second (1800rpm), it will work properly. like these:
YouTube - The Propeller Clock - Final Version
YouTube - Virtual Clock Demo 1
YouTube - The Propeller Clock

Last edited:
OK,

I bought all components but I don't know what type of DC motor you suggest for rotating the board?
I think, VCC and GND must come from motor. Is it true or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back