Is this possible (DC to DC step up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
joecool85 said:
I want to get +/-24 volts out of my car's 12v system. Is that possible?

Yes, it's what's used in 'high power' car amps. It's called an inverter, it's a SMPS that basically converts the DC to AC, feeds it through a transformer, and then converts it back to DC again. They generally have feedback from the secondary, to regulate the output voltage.

A LOT though depends on exactly what you are wanting to do, and how much power you need!.

joecool85 said:
I want it to run a couple lm1875s. They make 20wRMS or so.

How about using a couple of TDA1562Q instead?. They provide 30W RMS from a 12V supply!.

I checked jameco and partsexpress and stopped there lol. Thanks for the link. I don't think I'll use them though, looks a shade complicated.

How hard would it be to get +/-15 out of an automotive system? Or even +/-12? I'm thinking of using a TDA2030 for another automotive project.

Nigel Goodwin said:
How about using a couple of TDA1562Q instead?. They provide 30W RMS from a 12V supply!.
If your car battery is being charged at 14.4V, the TDA1562Q provides 55W at low distortion to a 4 ohm speaker.

I wonder if you can hear it switch its supply voltage?

Attachments

• tda1562q.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 468

It's a LOT more complicated building a DC/DC converter than using the IC I suggested above!.

Use a simple bridged amp for car radios. They give about 14W into a 4 ohm speaker with low distortion at clipping. About the same amount of power as an LM1875 or TDA2030 that uses a voltage doubler circuit.

joecool85 said:
Do you have an example of such a circuit?
Philips makes more than 76 amp ICs and ST Micro make at least 40. Here is a simple stereo amp from Philips. The datasheets usually have a pcb layout for the circuit.

Attachments

• 14w_per_ch_stereo_amp.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 433
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…