Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Itchin' for etchin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

marplots

So, I've been reading up on making PCBs and have a hankerin' to fume up the house a bit...

Where do you guys buy your blanks? I found some at mouser.com but I don't really know what other people are buying and why. For instance, do I want 1/2 ounce or 1/32 inch, or presensitized or what?

I'm going to try the HCl/H2O2 method with transfer from laser printer.

I just want to know where other people buy these things.
Of the triad, 'Good, Fast, Cheap', I'll go for the first and last.

Where are you located? Shipping costs and fast are dependent on that. As for good, the common commercial sources, like Mouser, Newark, and DigiKey have equal quality. RadioShack is fast, but usually more expensive (excluding minimum order issues). Surplus houses (e.g., Electronic Goldmine) may be a little cheaper, but the bare boards might be a little oxidized and have scratches. 1/2 oz is fine for most purposes.

Read up a little more on the method you want to use and plan on ruining a few boards as you practice. For example, you would not use pre-sensitized boards with the laser toner transfer method. John

if you're just getting started, grab some board from a surplus shop. allelectronics.com has a big 'ol slab of 1oz 1/16th single sided cheap

when you get more skilled, go for some double sided action

if you're loaded, the 1/32 or 1/64 board is a lot easier to cut and drill, but also costs more

Perhaps you already know but it was unclear in your post; here's a summary. You can consider three basic layers on your board as it goes into the etch tank:

substrate: Very common is FR-4 (fiberglass) but you can get paper phenolic (cheaper).
The most common substrate thickness is 1/16" (0.0625) but 1mm, 1/32", 1/8" and many others are available. If they don't say, it's probably 1/16".

copper: Most common is 1/2 oz, many special thicknesses are available. If they don't say, it's probably 1/2 oz.

top: resist. Popular are toner, pre-sensitized (with exposure and processing).

EBAY.COM. Search for FR4.

One-ounce is fine.

Here's the procedure, in excruciating detail:

**broken link removed**

- Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back