Jacobs ladder project schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.
An automotive ignition coil is a transformer with a primary and a secondary.
In the old days when the distributor had a set of mechanical points the primary was fed from the battery feed. When the points opened the lack of current flow in the primary caused the magnetic field to collasp generating a large voltage in the secondary to fire a spark plug. How it is done in the modern cars the only thing I know that there is an ignition coil.
You can take any power transformer that is not connected to the mains voltage and feed a pulsing dc to the low voltage secondary and you will have a much higher voltage on the primary.
A small radio shack audio transformer that has a 1K primary impedance and a 8 ohm secondary will give over 700 volts if the 8 ohm secondary is pulsed with a 9V battery.

In the old system, the points closed and opened rapidly, essentially feeding the ignition coil primary with square waves. The sharp turn-off is what allowed the high voltage to be generated with a small coil. Today, the points have been replaced by fast falltime MOSFETS with computer-controlled gates and in some cases, the coils have been replaced with solid-state HV modules.

I²R said:
Today, the points have been replaced by fast falltime MOSFETS with computer-controlled gates and in some cases, the coils have been replaced with solid-state HV modules.

I think that coils are still there. The physics haven't changed and you still need about 25kV for a good spark. Transistors won't switch 25kV.

The electronics has meant that the coils only have to dissipate tiny amounts of power. Therefore the coils can be smaller and cheaper. This means that a lot of cars don't have distributors as it is cheaper to fit several coils than one coil and a distributor.

In some cases the HT leads have been dispensed with, as each spark plug has a coil fitted directly to the end of it. With no HT leads, it is more difficult to get damp to short out the sparks.

However it is done, the coils may not look like they did in the 1960s, but they are still there.

i have a bosch 716 ignition coil which i dont know what the specs for it is. But i want to know how many watts do i need for the dimmer switch?

Probably the cheapest would be fine, as there isn't much current needed.

With a 5 :mu:F capacitor, on 60 Hz 120 V the average current is only about 0.1A so you don't need a high power rating.

You need the capacitor.

i live in Australia and our power points produce 240v at 50-60hz on i believe 10amps. What wattage should my dimmer switch be at?And what size non-polarised capacitor should i use?

You can use the smallest and cheapest light dimmer, as the current is kept small by the capacitor. I don't know how big the current is at all accurately, but the largest estimate is well under 1/2 amp, so even a 150W dimmer would be fine.

I saw somewhere, probably on this thread or one of the links from it, that the bigger the capacitor, the stronger the spark but the hotter the coil gets.

I can't estimate the currents and powers well enough to know where to start.

Just a tip on ignition coil jacobs ladders. I have made a few in the past, but have had many prolems getting the arc to rise reliably. I tried keeping the ires completely straight, putting it in an enclosure, and still not very good results. If possible, try incorporate 2 ignitions coils into your circuit, otherwise your arc isnt hot enough, and wont rise properly. I just recently got a neon sign transformer, makes awesome jacobs ladders! Whereabouts in AU do you live?

help

i want to do an induction coil circuit also, but i'm in some trouble with the light dimmer. in all the schemes and designs i can see one wire in and one wire out of the dimmer. however, i bought one which has 2 wires that enter and 2 which exit. can someone explain to me if my dimmer isn't good or how can i use it?

Last edited:
Driver300: by using you estimate of 1/2 an amp and using an average guess of 15,000 volts from the ignition coil it comes to 7,500watts. (forumula P=VxI)

things: I dont really need a big unit, its for my bedroom so around a rulers length should be fine, the angle of the "V" shaped opened wires will be very acute (narrow). i live in Melbourne

vladrew: The 2nd set of wires might be a place for an earth conection, for safety...dont take my word for it though.

spitso said:
Driver300: by using you estimate of 1/2 an amp and using an average guess of 15,000 volts from the ignition coil it comes to 7,500watts. (forumula P=VxI)

I said it would be much less than 1/2 amp. That was based on how much current gets through the 5 :mu:F capacitor at 50 or 60 Hz and 240V or less.

That is on the 240V side so the power is less than 120 W.

The 15,000 volts is on the secondary side of the transformer. The turns ratio on an ignition coil is about 100:1, so 1/2 amp on the primary side will only give 5 mA on the secondary, which comes to a bit less power, certainly nowhere near 7,500 W.

ohh sorry my bad, i was thinking of wrong side of coil. Thanks for the correction. Well ive bought the ignition coil off ebay for $25 includ delivery, going to buy a dimmer switch and a high voltage non-polarised capacitor and put it together. Lets see how it goes.

BTW adding a cap on the high voltage out will do you no good, it will make big loud sparks, you need continous arcs....

ive just been talking to a family friend whos a qualified electrician and he believes that this circuit is incorrect and will no work. Would anyone be able to explain this circuit. i mean the car ignition coils normally run on 12v DC in the circuit it runs on 240v AC. Explanation please...what do dimmer switch and cap do so different. Aswell what type of dimmer switch is needed?

Ignition coils do not _HAVE_ to run on 12V DC, i have seen a few people running them from a 240V dimmer. The key to this is, the more complicated the circuit, the longer life your coil will have, Ideally you want to run it at aroun 12V DC, but they can handle a fair bit more than they are rated for.

do you know exactly how this works?

Aswell what dimmer switch type should i use. A trailing edge or a leading edge dimmer switch

Last edited:

$25.00?

Only about $5.00 here, at most Auto wreckers.

Just recieved the igntion coil today....alot smaller than it look liked over the internet, fits in palm. I dont know if voltages being produce from this would be enough..how would i test it?

i spoke to my advanced electronics teacher and he is confused aswell. AC voltage up to 240v is going into the igntion coil, where these things are built for 12v DC how does it work?

Attachments

• Bosch coil for electronic igntion 12volt HEC 716 .jpg
    147 KB · Views: 669
dont worry i tested it with just a 9v dc battery and it produced a tiny spark. I measured the output voltage with a 500v digital multimeter and i got a max spike of around 1000volts. I only got a spark when i tapped the battery on and off... is this pulsed DC???

but i still need help with understanding the circuit. can anyone explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…