Laptop does not work in my home, but works at any other place!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

l0ll1

Hi There...this is a strange problem.

My laptop power cord has three pin plug and it stopped working in my home. I took it to my friends place and it works there without any issues!

So, at my friends place if I charge the battery and come back home, it start working again with power cord in the wall socket. By any chance if battery is drained, it doesn't work again...no power to the laptop, so battery doesn't charge and it can't boot.

I've several other devices in the house will three pin plugs, but my laptop is having trouble. What do you think is the problem? How do I check and what tools I would need?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Hi,
My experience with laptop chargers are they are rigid and made for hi current use. The frequent problem I've repaired is the wire disconnected in the laptop side of the charger. You will notice that by moving the cable it will get connect and disconnect (I don't recommend you to do that since this may damage your charger permanently). If you know how to check, use your DMM instead of your laptop.

Do you know for sure that the outlets you are using at home are actually working?

@aljamri - if that is the case, then it should not even work at friends house. Whenever this happens, I take things apart and re-attach, and move the cable with no luck.

@Roff - Yes, the outlets are working fine. I plugged in other 3-pin appliances and they work ok.

Plug one of those multi plug adaptors in, the ones where you can have more plugs on one socket and try your laptop in the back of that.
Maybe the sleeves on the laptop power packs plug are preventing contact to the socket, if that works you could fit a rewireable plug you know works to the power lead on your laptop power pack.

Last edited:
It could be tripping the adapter with a fault if its detecting a missing ground. Most devices will work without a ground but some will exhibit very strange behaviour.

Possibly worth checking how yours is all wired up.

Probably your plug is different than mine, but I sometimes have to press contacts towards each other
just to bend them a little bit.

Do this carefully coz you plug can break.

Try other outlets at home on a different circuit. If your using an outlet strip eliminate as part of the problem.

As stated, the cord can break near the connectors, both AC and DC. They can also break if constantly wrapped around the charger. You should be able to observe the charging indicator on the laptop. Finally the DC power jack on the laptop can be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…