Laser Light show ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkstar64

Hey I just recently saw a Laser Light show it was amazing and wondering if a DIY'er like me could make something of the sort not as complex as the real thing but maby using parallel to control when the laser's are on and off and something like steppers or servos to control where the laser's/mirrors are etc ? has it been done or am I just dreaming ahah

Last edited:
Yes but they all just use a laser pointer thats attached to a motor I'm talking about one that really has control of what is going to happen like making a person 's head or short animations ? I was thinking about it and its basically a CNC machine without the 3rd axis or the z axis as some may refer just needs to be super fast at moving any help on this ? I know alot about CNC machines and have been working on one myself using PWM and some stepper motor's but I don't know if they have the speed for (persistance of vision) or tricking the eye to belive its there when only its just moving so fast you can't tell. I was thinking useing the PIC12F509 to do the PWM to the steppers since thats what I have done in the past but im still on sure if the steppers will or can move as fast as they need to any help on this ?

I have not used much time to look for better ones. But their construction should be fairly intutive.

It would seem that a good choice would be a dual voice coil setup. You may be able to salvage the parts you need from old hard disks, steppers would be easier but slower.

A triangle shaped (or supported) first surface mirrow with one corner on a ball joint and the other two supported by the voice coils (or steppers) will allow you to deflect the laser.

I have just finished my dual green 200mw laser projector, it can do text, graphics, and start to get abit flickery on compicated stuff, but its still awesome for beam shows. In real laser projectors they use special motors called "Galvo's". They are small, but VERY fast and precise motors. Mine are rated for about 20,000 points per second, and cost about $365AU. You then need the laser itself. Depending on the quality of the module you buy, the cost will vary. I have a cheap little 40mw green module, and it is quite hopeless at blanking some complex stuff, then I have a >100mw CNI, which is MUCH better quality, and blanks very well.

If you want to make your own custom animations/text whatever, you will need a thing called a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). If your on a budget, you can head over to ebay and buy a cheap USB sound card (there is one in a blue box all over the place there, it is IDEAL for the "Sound card DAC"), then u need a amplifier for the sound card, which I can supply for about $40US if interested. Or, an easier way would be to go to pangolin.com and buy a DAC.

Building a laser scanner, especially a professional one is quite costly! I have spent about $1000AU on mine already, and it is far from professional!

There's ways of making Galvos but im unsure how they go about doing it I have this one but its pretty big and looks confusing at some points here is the link http://elm-chan.org/works/vlp/report_e.html and this is a smaller version I would like to make but I don't know how they put it inside of a metal shell **broken link removed**

If you decide to try make your own galvo's, all I can say is good luck!

They are VERY hard to build, and even being just slightly off in calculations can make everything go very bad in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…