Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Tag infrared electronic question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skillman1

My intension is to create a circuit that will turn a LED on when shot and off when hit again by infrared. could anyone tell me if this is possible to do, if so could you explain what i would need and a rough cost to create it. if you need more information just ask.

Assuming you're using modulated IR (e.g. as used in a TV remote), you can do this with a IR receiver (e.g. TSOP1738) and a small amount of logic. Parts should cost less than $2 (excl. postage) for each assembly, depending on where you buy them.

from what i understand what you have listed will only light up an LED when given constant IR. i would need the LED to stay on when hit once and then turn off when hit again.

You can configure the logic to latch on. You can also set the amount of time the modulated IR must be present before turning on, and the amount of time before the LED is allowed to be turned off.

or configure the logic as a flip/flop, changes states each time it's triggered, once on, then off, then on, then off...

could someone send me a link to this logic you are talking about. maybe a parts site or something instruct able. i am very new to this and everything i have looked up on logic is far to advanced for me to just jump into.

What are you using for the IR emitter? Is there a minimum time you want the LED to come on for? Do you need a beeper to go off too?

If you can give some more info on what you actually want, then it's easier for people to help you. If you don't want to give more information, then you should just google "laser tag instructable" or similar and find a more generic solution.

im more than happy to give more information, i just don't know what i need to give more information on.
what im trying to make will be using modulated IR (like in a tv remote) i want to use a tv remote (or just a IR emitter hooked up to a separate power supply) to tag the device and turn a LED off. and then with a second stimulation of IR it will turn back on. The Flip/flop configuration sounds more like something that will accomplish this. i dont want it to do anything else, no beeps, timer, or anything else to complicate it. just an LED that will turn ON / OFF when tagged with modulated IR.
ask as many questions as you need i will do my best to answer them.

Well, this one should work to toggle when it gets hit by the signal from the remote control.
lasertag.png
The PNP transistor can be BC558 or 2N3906 or equivalent. The inverting gates can be CMOS schmitt NAND 4093 or schmitt inverter 40106 or 74C14, etc. Can you work from a schematic? If not, it can be redrawn using e.g. component outlines.

i can understand where each component is but i think i'd need a little more information in order to be able to put it together

Use a tsop4838 as it has a wider input voltage range more suitable to battery powered devices. A really poor drawing is attached using component outlines rather than symbols; I hope it makes enough sense to you.
scan0003.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back