Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Latch In Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuchy143

Hi All,

I"m trying to figure out exactly what a latch is in verilog. The code below I have been trying to wrap my mind around but am confused. The way I understand it is that whenever b or c changes it checks to see if b is high and if it is it sets a=c. What's wrong with that????

Example below is from this VERILOG FAQ TECHNICAL

Bad Code:(Latch)
1 always @ (b or c)
2 begin
3 if (b) begin
4 a = c;
5 end
6 end
You could download file latch_bad.v here

In the code above, value of a is retained, and it gets changed only when b is set to '1'. This results in a latch. (Need to phrase it right)

Good Code #1:(No latch)
1 always @ (b or c)
2 begin
3 a = 0;
4 if (b) begin
5 a = c;
6 end
7 end

A latch in Verilog is exactly the same as a latch in electronics ( Think R-S latch ) Latches are generally bad because they are usually products of poor coding. In your examples above, the intent is to create a combinatorial function described by:

a = b AND c.

However, in the first example, the code erroniously creates a latch, due to poor coding method. In that example, a will receive c when b is high, but will retain the value of c after b is deasserted. That isn't what the code was intended to do (typically)

There are few reasons to create latches, but the assumption is that whenever a value needs to be saved, one should use a clocked element (flip-flop) and so latches should be avoided.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back