Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD 2x16 HD44780

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

I am getting a couple of HD44780 LCD Modules in soon and wanted to know if anyone has any information on them. I have the datasheet to the HD44780 and i really just wanted to know if someone has links to tutorials and stuff like that.

For better understanding heres a link to the product:
https://www.dipmicro.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=306

i have seen this:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com...-the-unicorn-18f4550.34261/?highlight=HD44780

even though its for the unicorn im sure i can make it work on junebug once i install the mod im making. So anymore info also?

AtomSoft said:
I am getting a couple of HD44780 LCD Modules in soon and wanted to know if anyone has any information on them. I have the datasheet to the HD44780 and i really just wanted to know if someone has links to tutorials and stuff like that.
I have around six of those DipMicro LCDs. They're nice. Have fun writing code for them. It's really simple, but it sure doesn't seem like it the first time you do it. I've done it so many times on so many different PICs now that it seems trivial to me now. But that first time was so difficult! :p

Ya, I've done it on Junebug, both on CON3 and on the PortB Mod.

Probably the only thing that really got me when I first tried interfacing with them was that you have to toggle the enable pin to do a command. My crappy datasheet never mentioned this. Otherwise, it's quite simple, just put in the binary as presented in the datasheet and then toggle the enable pin, and whatever action you told it to do it will do.

Hey futz hoping you can see this ok. Som sample pics .. from that lighting stuff..

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

AtomSoft said:
Hey futz hoping you can see this ok. Som sample pics .. from that lighting stuff..
Aziz! Light! :D
(quote from The Fifth Element)

Get closer. Fill the frame with your subject. Don't clip off the corners though. And add more light. :p You have one lamp in there. Put 3 or 4, or some halogens.

That's a vast improvement over the "white" pic though.

EDIT: Just for fun I took the bottom pic and did a little work on it. Put em both on screen and compare side by side.
103_0039_futz.jpg
Now, there's only so much you can do with an image that has been already pinched down to fit the web. Once the information is lost you can't put it back. But you can fake it, like I did there. If that work had been done before the image was resized and compressed hard, it would look better.

Just in case you're thinking of cutting down the image size your camera takes so you can get more pics out of it, or have less work to go straight to web, DON'T DO IT. Crank it to maximum and leave it there. Buy a bigger memory card if necessary. If you're shooting little dinky pics and you happen to get the pic of the century, you'll be kickin yourself when you remember that you shot it at dinky size and it's useless for any editing or reuse. Get all the image detail you can on every image. You can always remove information to go smaller but you can never add more to go bigger.

Last edited:
Pretty pictures, I didn't think I even had the Junebug in 2006 :)

Did you guys see the 3.3V post? Now all I need is to write a small demo for a 24FJ16 in C30

blueroomelectronics said:
Did you guys see the 3.3V post? Now all I need is to write a small demo for a 24FJ16 in C30
I saw it. Still not 100% sure what you meant about the eeprom or how exactly to connect the diodes. Hey! Write up a nice little article, take some piccies and send em to me. I'll post an article on my site.

Hehehe :D You probably want to put it on your own. :p

Here's a early draft of the CON3 functions, and also the EEPROM data for a calibrated Junebug (it'll work with 3.3V, also changes the name to Bill don't worry I'll fix that) You'll need your PICkit2 or a spare 18F2550 to program it (PICkit2 has an EEPROM only programming mode, just uncheck the FLASH window)
Notice your PICkit2, Junebug or Inchworm can connect directly to CON3 pins 1 thru 5 and you can experiment with your Junebugs 18F2550.

Attachments

• Junebug Assembly Instructions CON3.pdf
    29 KB · Views: 284
  • pk2 bill ee 417v.zip
    266 bytes · Views: 154
Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
Here's a early draft of the CON3 functions,
It's marked CON6 on my Junebug.

EDIT: I was in the middle of posting to ask a question or two. When I refreshed to preview my post I saw that my question had been answered in your edit. :p

OK if I post on site? I probably won't get to it till I put this GLCD out of its misery though.

Last edited:
Thanks futz. btw i take images at 7.1 mega pixels. Not the best but max on my cam. But i believe its good enough since most of my picture will get edited and reduced in size a bunch of pixels will be lost or crammed in anyway.

As for that junebug stuff ill wait till i buy another junebug lol just incase i happen to mess one up i can still use the other while trying to fix the other lol :D

AtomSoft said:
Thanks futz. btw i take images at 7.1 mega pixels. Not the best but max on my cam. But i believe its good enough since most of my picture will get edited and reduced in size a bunch of pixels will be lost or crammed in anyway.
Most of the megapixel hype in consumer level cameras is stupid marketing. Almost nobody needs more than 4-5 megapixel. But the idiot masses want that bigger number (it's bigger so it must be better!) so the marketers are happy to give it to them. My 4 mega A80 takes better pics than my 12 mega A650 IS, but the 650 has nicer features so I use it. The 4 mega is all I need, resolution-wise. Honestly, how often do you ever have a photo printed at poster size, or even 5x7 or 8x10? 99.9% of my pics will never be printed.

As for that junebug stuff ill wait till i buy another junebug lol just incase i happen to mess one up i can still use the other while trying to fix the other lol :D
It's good to have more than one programmer, preferably different types.

I am waiting for some steady work to come in to buy a few things from bill and a pickit 2. Right now i work on and off but thank god my wife has steady job. But i guess i can wait longer. I ordered some stuff so i can make that port mod on the junebug. I havent ordered the pic socket wire wrap type because it would be the only thing i need and i dont like ordering 1 thing at a time. The worst thing about my camera is the screen .. its broke... like cracked so cant use it. And i lost the wire to plug to tv so i cant see menu. I guess i cna dl the manual and try to change settings by images in manual but it would be tuff.

AtomSoft said:
The worst thing about my camera is the screen .. its broke... like cracked so cant use it. And i lost the wire to plug to tv so i cant see menu. I guess i cna dl the manual and try to change settings by images in manual but it would be tuff.
Ooooohhh! That's bad. Without access to all the settings you're going to have a tough time doing anything much beyond snapshots. What camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back