LCD Identification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnl69

Hello

I got hold of a LCD display that I would like to use for a prodject im doing, the problem is I cant find any information on it, Ive done a continuity test on the terminals and have found that term 3 is ground and terns a/k are for the backlight but other then that im stuck can anyone help?

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

johnl69 said:
Thanks for that

How would I test it? do I simple connect the vss and vcc to the staed pins and then put an input to bus line and see if any characters appear?

No, to get any characters you need to feed it correctly and exactly, there are plenty of examples about - including my PIC tutorials. You can download a good article (actually a two part series) from the EPE website.

johnl69 said:
Thanks for that

How would I test it? do I simple connect the vss and vcc to the staed pins and then put an input to bus line and see if any characters appear?

hi,
I am afraid its not that simple.!

It requires to be driven from a PIC or MCU, needs initialising in the correct sequence before you can write characters to it.

Read thru that link I posted, it will help..

Thanks guys ill do a bit more reading,

What Pic is required to run this display can it be done with a PIC16F84A?

johnl69 said:
Thanks guys ill do a bit more reading,

What Pic is required to run this display can it be done with a PIC16F84A?

I believe that any pic, having enough i/o pins will do. Not sure about 16f84a, but perhaps. E.g. At89s2051 can do as a microcintroller, having 2 bidirectional i/o ports - 1 pin (15 i/o pins in total).

lexter said:
I believe that any pic, having enough i/o pins will do. Not sure about 16f84a.

Perfectly fine, you only need six (or seven) pins - my tutorials use them all on one port, with a pin spare.

Yep its a standard pinout 1-14....with 15 and 16 being the LED backlight power. Looks like theres already two resistors in series with it, so I suspect is the usual 4.2V @ 150 mA.

Thank alot guys

I read those tutorials on EFE and hooked up a breadboard mockup like it says and it works fine now to sort out the pic

johnl69 said:
Thank alot guys

I read those tutorials on EFE and hooked up a breadboard mockup like it says and it works fine now to sort out the pic

The EPE tutorial is really good!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…