Leds with pot in paralell

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgeno216

If I have 6 leds in paralell and want to use a pot to control their brightness then would a pot reduce them all or would it reduce the number of leds lit. It makes sense to me both ways.

Mike

To change the voltage control led brightness is not feasible

Control the duty cycle with pot
Methods: make an oscillator circuit, the output square wave for the LED,
Control the duty cycle square wave with a pot, you can control the brightness.

I been doing some more thinking. What if I used a 317 circut to regulate the voltage, I feel like that would work, but i would be force to keep the voltage above 1.2v. I am only familiar with using a 555 to create a square wave, what are some other popular methods.

Thanks,
Mike

What PCBWING is getting at is that to control LED brightness or vary it you don't generally vary the voltage to your LED. Generally you would use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). The posted circuit using a 555 timer would give you a blinking effect with the LED on and off for equal periods of time. To get an understanding of using PWM to control LED brightness give this a read. That may help clarify things.

Ron

"RP1" can change the duty cycle. Just like this.

Attachments

• led-1.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 677
Last edited:
I understand PWM but with a 555 how do you get below a 50% duty cycle. I would like the leds to go from all the way off to all the way on. I have been google, and found the hex inverter circut
**broken link removed**

The problem is that I heard the the output is very irregular. I think that is a problem and there is a better way of doing it.

Mike

Last edited:
I understand PWM but with a 555 how do you get below a 50% duty cycle.
I'd stick to the 555 timer. How does it get less than 50%? If you read the datasheet, the formula is:
**broken link removed**

The duty cycle is t2/t2 %... so just make one variable.

Here is what I put together in Excel. What do you guys think.

**broken link removed**

Here is where I found the schematic

**broken link removed**

Mike

If I'm not mistaken ElectroMaster put up a 555 calculator too in this forum. Hmm. You might wanna breadboarding all the components now.

Eric has one he put up here too on ETO...can't find it now damn.

If I'm not mistaken ElectroMaster put up a 555 calculator too in this forum. Hmm. You might wanna breadboarding all the components now.

I strongly agree with that. Start screwing with a simple 555 circuit and run with it. I like the spread sheet.

Ron

You don't need PWM or any complex circuit. Just a simple transistor with a pot on the base to control the base current. Put the LEDs in the collector circuit and they will change in brightness.

You don't need PWM or any complex circuit. Just a simple transistor with a pot on the base to control the base current. Put the LEDs in the collector circuit and they will change in brightness.

It's quite tricky to control the base current though. Current's in microamps usually.

I didn't know that was even possible, I thought that the transistor is either on or off. Could you explain it to me alittle more, I am very interested by this. Where should I start in finding the right value.

Thanks,
Mike

Simply put a 1M pot between positive rail and base with a 10k stopper resistor in series and put the LEDs in the collector circuit with 470R resistor on a 12v supply.

It's quite tricky to control the base current though. Current's in microamps usually.
'Quite tricky' may be over stating it. If you don't care about variation between one transistor to the next, and you don't care about linearity or temperature sensitivity is acceptable, it can be made to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…