Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

li-ion battery charger module, is this one okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormrazer121

As per title really, i know its from the bay but it does have a data sheet so i assumed it to be okay :) but something i wondered, if a battery was connected to this, a long with the power to my project (basically connect the positive and negative of my mini amp to the battery connectors) what would happen? would it destroy the device? or would it be fine?

**broken link removed**

Hi,

Hard to say without seeing the circuit diagram. Is this available, or ask the seller?
Unless someone else already bought one and can testify.

What is the ratings of your battery? I have tiny Li-Po cells and pretty big ones. The tiny ones would blow up with the high charging current.
Will your battery explode if it is charged at the high current of 1A?
Can you replace the extremely small resistor that sets the charging current?

I have one of these TP4056 devices in my car tracker, it is charging a 3.7V 800mAH LiPo battery, its an off-the-shelf Chinese built tracker, but it always seems to charge OK if that helps? Not sure on the charge current resistor though.

An 800mAh Li-Po is safe when charged at 1A. But my tiny 120mah battery cells will blow up.

Every battery is different.
Some need a low charge current.
Newer Lithium batteries can charge in a few minutes with a high charge current.

Here are the spec's for the latest electric model airplane Li-Po 325mAh battery cell. It can be charged at 3.9A.

Attachments

• Li-Po battery cell.png
    Li-Po battery cell.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 200
Well i would be using it with a high mAh battery, its a speaker dock that i need it for, so a large mAh battery (2000+) is what i would be charging :)

Hi,

Most of them will take C/2 charge rate. I have a smaller one that takes 330ma and it's a 750mAhr cell. It's best to look at the data sheet however to make sure. They might give two rates, one for fast charge and one for 'normal' charge.

You will get low volume sound when the battery is only 3.7V. If the amplifier outputs are bridged and the speakers are 8 ohms then the maximum output is only 0.5W per channel and the average output for both stereo channels combined is only 0.1W. A 2000mAh battery will power it for a very long time.

You will get low volume sound when the battery is only 3.7V. If the amplifier outputs are bridged and the speakers are 8 ohms then the maximum output is only 0.5W per channel and the average output for both stereo channels combined is only 0.1W. A 2000mAh battery will power it for a very long time.

I thiink you will find Li-ion batteries spend most their time around this voltage. They fall from 4.2v quickly and sit at 3.7v before rapidly dropping on complete discharge.

Worthy of note is the C/10 charge termination. This is C/10 of the charge current not the C/10 of the cell. Set the charge current too low and it may never stop charging due to the cell's natural leakage current and eventually ruin the cell.

Lithium batteries are single cell 3.7V, dual cell 7.4V, triple cell 11.1V and quad cell 14.8V etc. The higher voltages allow an audio amplifier to provide much more power to a speaker.

I have the single cell lithium battery from the cell phone my daughter last used about 11 years ago and it still has a charge of 3.688V so its leakage is almost nutthin.

ok, i cannot say i noticed much difference in sound when i powered the amp via usb vs the battery o_O

Actually WTP pepper yes i have in fact tried to make a call with the phone, this was of course before i ripped its guts out, however i did switch the phone on to confirm charging of the battery as i destroyed the last phone ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back