Light Show Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Lately i have been thinking that my computer case is kind of, well, blah. I love music. And, like just about any other teen, i love music with A LOT of bass. My favourite song is "I'm gonna love her for both of us", by Meat Loaf, who just so happens to be the person i have as my avatar. Anyways, i also love light. You know, like in a live concert, they have light shows. I want to make some sort of circuit that flashes LEDs WITH the music. Sure, an equalizer would be cool, and then have the LEDs flashing like that, but i am looking for some type of circuit that would allow me to send stereo(or even better, 5.1 surround sound) into it, and it would flash the LEDs to the music. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't really need this circuit that bad, but it think it would be cool to put into the 2 5.25" drive bays that i have free.

I guess if this isn't possible, then an equalizer would be cool. How would i connect the LEDs to an equalizer? I just need something to give my system some pizazz.

do you want something like a spectral display ?
then split the signal using multiple BPF and give each of them to lm3914 like ics

Meatloaf? I thought that was him in your avatar, that disgustingly fat goofball. You do know that this means I may never discuss electronics with you again, right? Switch your avatar to Eddie VanHalen or Jimmy Page and then we'll be on the same wavelength! Sheesh, even David Bowie is heads above Meatloaf! I worry about you sometimes.

do you want something like a spectral display ?
then split the signal using multiple BPF and give each of them to lm3914 like ics

Sure? What is a spectral display? I have an idea, but i am not for sure.

He has actually lost a lot of weight. I am just going to pretend you never said any of that.

Marks256 said:
He has actually lost a lot of weight. I am just going to pretend you never said any of that.

Nothing wrong with Meatloaf! - he's made some great albums, mostly down to Todd Rungren and Jim Steinman if I recall correctly?. Jimmy Page of course was with led Zepplin, one of the best bands of all time - but I've always thought Van Halen was more of a success within the musical industry rather than the public? - rather like Jeff beck - both amazing musicians who rarely seem to reach the heights their talent deserves?, but are greatly respected by their peers.

Todd Rungren and Jim Steinman if I recall correctly?
Not so sure about Mr. Rungren, but Jim Steinman is currently working with Marvin (Meat Loaf) to produce Bat out of Hell III. It is expected to be released October 31, 2006. Guess who will be at Walmart to but it that day? ME! :biggrin:

Marks256 said:
Not so sure about Mr. Rungren

He was the producer of "Bat Out Of Hell", and majorly responsible for the sound of the album - his name might be spelled "Todd Rundgren"?, not too sure on the spelling?.

Yes, Rundgren sounds more like it. Actually, i think Rundgren AND Steinman both worked on Bat out of Hell together.

hey..what about the original query..??

Sure? What is a spectral display? I have an idea, but i am not for sure.
displays the strength level of frequency bands or a freq vs signal strength display

Marks256 said:
Yes, Rundgren sounds more like it. Actually, i think Rundgren AND Steinman both worked on Bat out of Hell together.

Steinman wrote it, and Rundgren produced it (and played guitars on it)

Meat Loaf can lose all the weight he wants to, sing all the songs he wants to, and sweat like a pig for as long as he wants to, but before I'll learn to like him, I'd rather construct an altar to Mr. Beautiful himself, Lemmy Killmeister. And then there's Rob Zombie!

I have never seen that circuit on his site before. Hmm, it must be one of the new ones. No. I don't much like that one. Especially if the circuit has to be recalibrated every time the volume changes. I mess with the volume all of the time. Thanks though!

That circuit has mistakes anyway. Look at the input pin 8 of the middle LED driver. It is grounded. Look at the ground pin 5 of all LED drivers. They are connected to the output of the middle filter circuit.

I wonder why the circuit uses a Panasonic LED driver IC?

Attachments

• AN6884 LED driver.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 292
The LM3914 has a range of 20dB which isn't much.
The LM3916 has a range of 23dB which is still not much.
The LM3915 has a range of 30dB which is quite a lot and is logarithmic to match your hearing's response to loudness.

They are just a dim blur without the Half-Wave Peak Detector simple circuit (on the datasheet) added to their input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…