Limiting the voltage....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,

I think I have aked this before but never really got a good answer, I have a 6v-36v line and I want to place a LED (and a Atmega128) in this line and use it to detect the ignition status of a car.

Wouldplacing a BZX84-C3V0 between this line and GND do it? if not what is best way?

Thx in advance

if this car has a alternater why dont you check if current is comming from it
sorry i dont know what a 'BZX84-C3V0' or a 'Atmega128' is.

Clarify what I'm trying to do

I want to determine when a car / truck ignition is turned on, the voltage can be between 6v - 36v, I want to monitor it with a Atmega128 MCU, I also want a LED to indicate the ignition is on.

How can I safley attatch a small SMT LED and a I/O pin of a Atmega128 to a line that can have 6v-36v range.

Thanks

Anyone?

Hi,

I really could do with adive on this, anyone got any clues?

Just want to limit the voltage from a input of 6v-36v to a LED / I/O pin of a MUC, so 2.5v should be fine.

Thx

Re: Anyone?

Scarr said:
Hi,

I really could do with adive on this, anyone got any clues?

Just want to limit the voltage from a input of 6v-36v to a LED / I/O pin of a MUC, so 2.5v should be fine.

Thx

On a PIC all you need is a series current limiting resistor, but according to recent posts the Atmel processors don't have protection diodes, so you would need to add external ones.

As it's in a noisy environment, it would be a good idea to use two series resistors instead of one, and fit a zener diode from their junction to ground, a 12V one would be fine. This will help to keep large spikes from the processor!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…