linear current to voltage converter circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

freak123

how should i design a linear current to voltage converter without power supply from transmitter circuit .i should convert 4-20ma current from transmitter circuit to equivalent 0-5v using diodes and transistor s

freak123 said:
how should i design a linear current to voltage converter without power supply from transmitter circuit

You need to be far more specific as to your needs, it's not very obvious what you are trying to do, nor what you want.

But, a simple resistor does everything you've asked so far!.

i need it using some diodes and transistors with resistors to convert from 4-20ma to equivalent 0-5v.

Are you sure you want the low end to be 0 volts? Many, but not all interfaces start at some point above zero because zero is hard to measure.

In some applications the normal way to handle this is select a resistor that will have a voltage drop of 5 volts when the current is 20 ma. The voltage drop is 1 volt when the current is 4 ma so the span is 1 to 5 volts. This works if anything connected does not significantly load the circuit.

In the industrial world, we use a 250 ohm precision resistor to accomplish exactly what stevez wrote about. We put the 4-20mA loop current thru the resistor and measure the voltage across it.
JB

jbeng,

Yes this is standard but there is one problem, freak123 wants 0V at 4mA and the 250ohm resistor will supply 1V.

Unless this is a homework assignment, think OPAMP. It would be simple to do, take less power, less board space, and be more accurate.

Re-evaluate the specs .

j.

just wondering about that, if the 4-20mA mentioned was the actually the output from a sensor, would there be enough power to reach 5V just by the use of a simple 250 ohm resistor? Or would a op amp do a better job

Most often, the 4-20 ma does not come from or thru the sensor but is the result of a transducer or convertor that is attached to the sensor, computer, etc. You'd have to check mfr's specs to see just how much voltage/power is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…