Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Little Gem amp help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffz63

Hello,
I am posting this as a new thread because all the one I found on search were old.

I hope someone will help. I have some experience with electronics though this is my first attempt at building a cicuit.
I just got done making the little gem amp and it doesnt work.
I assembled it from the diagrams here...

Little Gems

I am positive that all the components are installed correctly and there are no bridges.
When I turn it on (I added a power switch and LED) the light comes on and there is a pop sound from the speaker and if I turn down the volume pot the pop is more quiet.

I assume the chip is ok.

Any ideas? I would be eternally greatful!
Jeff

The circuit should work fine but its output power is low. It produces a muffled sound (not bright) when its input is from a guitar magnetic pickup because its input impedance is low.
What are you using for the input signal?

The circuit should work fine but its output power is low. It produces a muffled sound (not bright) when its input is from a guitar magnetic pickup because its input impedance is low.
What are you using for the input signal?

I am using this as a guitar amp. The input signal is from a guitar. I was thinking, if the battery is weak would that prevent the amp from working or would there still be some output?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I am using this as a guitar amp. The input signal is from a guitar. I was thinking, if the battery is weak would that prevent the amp from working or would there still be some output?
Does your guitar have a magnetic pickup?
Are the strings on the guitar suitable for a magnetic pickup?

The datasheet for the LM386 amplifier shows that its minimum supply voltage is 4V or 5V when its max output power to an 8 ohm speaker is very low at only 0.075W.

Yes the guitar has a magnetic pu. And yes the strings are sutible. Does the popping noise from the speaker indicate that the IC is still good?

When power is applied to the circuit then the output capacitor quickly charges into the speaker which makes a POP sound.
Since there is no guitar sound being played then maybe the amplifier circuit or the amplifier IC is bad.

Ok I may have fried it in my first attempt. I will get a new chip and try again. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for your help AG
Jeff

About the only way to fry the LM386 is to connect the battery backwards, to use a supply voltage higher than 9 volts or to short the speaker when it is playing..

Ok, It was the IC. I attempted to build this amp before with a used PCB and I guess I fried it then. I am using this as a little test amp. I build cigar box guitars and this is perfect for testing my pick up wiring.

One last question though if you dont mind....Can I run this amp with a wall adapter. Ive seen guys build this with an input for an adapter. How is this done?

I guess what I'm asking is what kind of adapter do I need to power this without frying it.

Last edited:
Use a 9VDC/300mA DC to 9VDC/500mA adapter. Its output will be higher, about 12VDC when its is not working hard.
Do not connect its polarity backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back