Load in op amp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nescafe

In switchable audio stage, is that necessary to provide load when not in use, for both inverting and non inverting op amp (like in the simplified schematic attached)? Is that a bad things to leave it without R Load?

Any reply will be very appreciated.

Thank You.

Attachments

• Load.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 143
An opamp has a low amount of output current. The datasheets for most opamps show a minimum load of 2000 ohms and the problems caused by the high output current. The opamps are shown to work much better with a load not less than 10k ohms. A few opamps can drive a load as low as 600 ohms.

No. Standard op amps work just fine with no load.

Thank You crutschow

Hi audioguru,
Thank You for the information, so I will go without R Load and check again each opamp load, as long as I remember some of the stage have around 2K loads and even that works, should I rescale the load to around 10K?

Thank You.

Your schematic does not show an opamp part number and does not show power supply voltages. Also we need to know the maximum output level you need.

Your schematic does not show an opamp part number and does not show power supply voltages. Also we need to know the maximum output level you need.

Hi audioguru,
I still experimenting and use +/- 18V power supply with around 23dBU target level for the various stage, mostly audio filter, gain stage (+/- 6dB) and unity gain buffer.
The IC are the variety of LM49710, NE5534, OPA134, etc, so I think Your direction for general good rule/safe value for resistive load is very appreciated.

Thank You.

You have selected good audio opamps. Your level is much higher than line level.

Hi audioguru,
with 16dBU hottest signal plus 6dB boost from EQ = 22dBU, and 1dB for headroom before clip is that really high?

Thank You.

I worked with telephone conference systems for a few years. My customers and I noticed that the sounds were very muffled so I measured the frequency response of a local round trip. 3kHz was down -10dB. I complained to Bell and they said it was normal. So I fixed it.
Do not tell Bell that I used +10dB of EQ transmit boost at 3kHz for telephone conference units. It made speech sound crisp and clear. Every time I demo'd it then it was sold.

I should try to build that and sell it for local conference provider :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…