Looking for motor that's tiny; slow and quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostBoyNZ

Hi. I'm making a custom PC case, and need a motor just to slowly turn some black cardboard around and around. I think something like 60 rpm would be perfect. Since I'm making the PC to be nearly silent however, the motor also needs to be just about silent. I think the motor will also need to be smaller than about 5cm (2 inches).

I was wondering if anyone has any hints of what type of motor to search online for that might fit my needs?

Thanks so much!

Hmm I wonder yeah. That could be powered from inside the computer too, which would certainly be an advantage.

I was just thinking now if taking apart a clock could work?

Hi,

a stepper motor would certainly mean some electronics around it to get it turn the way you want.

There are small DC-motors with reduction gear for robot applications. They are fully encapsuled including the gear box and available for any transmission ratio.

I purchased two of them for a solar tracker driving a worm gear and they are really small. Motor diameter is 8mm and gear box 10mm, overall length is 15mm.

Google for robot motor drives.

Boncuk

Thanks guys!

After googling those I found this, which seems like what I'd want. It's about 38rpm but that'd still be totally fine. It runs on 5v, which is perfect to take power from a USB port but it says "With a 5V power source it draws 600mA when stalled and 52ma when unloaded."

I see USB has a maximum output of 500mA, but I'm not quite sure what the text means about it drawing 600mA when it stalls. Being too much, I imagine that would damage the computer?

Gear Motor 2: Offset Shaft

Thanks again!

Why use the USB for power. This is for inside the case, so use the 5 volts from the pigtail connector. Have spent much time inside a computer case, since I stopped building my own, (Pentium was still relatively new, Windows 95), so been a few years, and a lot of changes, but the power supplies still seem about the same, should have 5v and 12v, and plenty of current to work with.

Thank you, haha, that's a perfect solution. It shows how little I know about the power supply and such going on inside a computer. It's my first mod (although it'll be my 3rd computer build) and has been one big learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…