Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looping with a LM3914 (voltage->LED driver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnArKey

What I'm trying to do is loop the voltage response of a LM3914. Basically, I'm going to use one LM3914 to light up one LED for every 1000RPMs (already worked out the tach signal->voltage conversion), this is easy. What I'd additionally want, is a second LM3914 to light one LED for every 100RPMs, and start over every 1000RPMs.

So far, I figure I'd want pin 4 (set input for low end of range), to be tied to pin 6 (high high of input range), and to 7 (regulated output, 1.25V more than pin 8), and have the input at pin 8 jump everytime a new LED lights up from the LM3914 driving the 1000RPM increment LED array. The jump in voltage at pin 8 will shift the low end and high end of the range upward.

The only question is, what's the best way to step up the voltage at pin 8 in steps whenever a new LED on the other LM3914 lights up?

This seems like a nice enough display manner (same data, less total number of LEDs needed), that I figure at least somebody has done it before.

The datasheet show this:

Attachments

• 3914.GIF
    3914.GIF
    27.3 KB · Views: 779
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back