Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low current equivalent for L298H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi All,

I have to cycle a coil (clock drive) with reversed polarity using an MCU. A full H-bridge would do the job.

However, the L298H is made for currents up to 2.5A, whereas the coil's current is 100mA max.

Is there any equivalent H-bridge which would suit the need for low current?

Thank you

Boncuk

You could go all discrete - a pair of PNP and NPN transistors do the job nicely.

If your coil is over 5v then I'd advise using another NPN on each PNP transistor base to stop any high voltages going into your driver IC.

If you want an "all in one" solution then have a look here - ST do some great drivers in 16 pin DIP and are another company I like dealing with. In fact I've had such good service from them that I deliberately choose their products over others even if they do cost slightly more.

STMicroelectronics | Dual H - Bridge [13]

Last edited:
Equivalent for L298

Hi picbits,

thanks for your help.

I like ST components also, but I found a very easy to handle single H-bridge driver at Toshiba Semiconductors.

The type is TA7291 and it is available in three different packages, where the 9pin SIL-package is not much bigger than a resistor array. It can handle 400mA continously and peaks of 1A at a maximum of 25V.

It seems to be ideal for the purpose I want to use it. (6V at 100mA)

The control circuit is extremely easy to wire: two input pins. one high means on (reverse inputs for reverse action), two low means stop, and two high means brake.

Regards

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back