Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low current PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last pic project I did (quite a while ago) I used a TDA3664 voltage regulator to get 5v. It had a quiescent current of less than 15uA & gave me great battery life with a low speed Xtal. IS this still the way to do it or is there some way a bit smarter.

Sorry, I should have cleared that up - it has to come from a lead acid 12V cell - which drives a 100A motor occasionally for short periods. Suprisingly, the Wh load over a day from a dribbling 7805 is much greater than the short 100A bursts

yea those old linear regulators are wasteful creatures.

how much current does your PIC circuit need when it's fully operating? you could use something like a shunt regulator to siphon off a 1mA (or less) of current from that 12v cell, and power the PIC from that. then use one of the pic's pins to enable a higher power regulator (look for LDO regulators with a shutdown pin) when you need to drive 'user interface components' like LEDs and other displays. this way the wasteful high-current linear regulator will only be in circuit when your pic needs to be fully operational. in standby, the shunt regulator will only siphon enough current to operate the pic in bare bones mode.

flatfootskier said:
Sorry, I should have cleared that up - it has to come from a lead acid 12V cell - which drives a 100A motor occasionally for short periods. Suprisingly, the Wh load over a day from a dribbling 7805 is much greater than the short 100A bursts

As your previous regulator only used 15uA, that should be perfectly fine from a lead acid battery.

You could also save power by choosing a PIC18F series microcontroller, these have "nanoWatt Technology" - this provides more modes for power saving by turning-off some features etc.

picasm said:
You could also save power by choosing a PIC18F series microcontroller, these have "nanoWatt Technology" - this provides more modes for power saving by turning-off some features etc.

The 12F and 16F chips have "nano watt" listed on their datasheets as well.

The 12F and 16F chips have "nano watt" listed on their datasheets as well.
Yes, you are right, but looking at some of the data sheets it appears that some don't have as many of the "nanowatt" features as others.
For example, in the 16F range, the two speed startup option is only available on a few devices such as the 16f87,88 whereas more of the 18F range have all of the features.

I think they just keep adding more power saving features to newer devices whilst still using the same "nanowatt technology" name.

I have to agree. Lead acid is plenty of power if you run a pic at low speed, which he said he did as well. 15uA for the regulator, leave it in..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back