Low-pass filter with C but no R

carbonzit

This is something that's bugged me for some time now.

I hasten to point out that IANAEE (I am not an electronics expert); I know enough to get into trouble, and maybe a little more. Hence my puzzlement on this point.

In another thread there's a discussion of why, when a guy added a series resistor to the input of an amplifier, it degraded the sound quality by what sounded like attenuating high frequencies, the classic effect of a low-pass filter. The theory advanced was that by adding the series resistor, it formed a low-pass filter with an already-existing capacitor at the input of the amp.

This does not make sense to me. Let me explain why.

This shows the classic low-pass filter with both a C and R, but also simply a C:

We know the C-R network forms a low-pass filter. But doesn't a C by itself also form one? It's simply the degenerate case where R=0, right? It will still function to attenuate high frequencies. Look at power supplies that have filter capacitors but no series resistors (some have them, some don't). There's your R-less LPF.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that one doesn't ever need an R to make a LPF; it's certainly needed to create the proper response curve, rolloff and cutoff frequency. But if that amplifier already had a C across its input, I don't see how adding an R would suddenly create a LPF where none existed before. It would certainly change the response of the filter, but my guess is that it would have less effect, overall, than the C already has.

So what am I missing here? I'll let the experts here respond.

Solution

No, but if a circuit adds a capacitor like that to act as an LPF, then it's because it's relying on a suitable source impedance - in your case the circuit is meaningless, because it only shows part of the circuit.

It's quite simple, for such a crude LPF as this - simply calculate the impedance of the capacitor at the frequency you require, then the series resistor (or source impedance) needs to be that resistance.

For example, a 1000Hz LPF with a...
As Diver correctly mentioned, the series diode prevents simple linear analysis.
In this instance, the capacitor is behaving as an energy storage unit. It is a completely different analysis.
And let’s not forget, every single real-world transformer has an effective series resistance. As a first order calculation, it is the sum of the secondary winding’s resistance plus the primary winding resistance multiplied by the square of the turns ratio.

It's not an LPF, it's a rectifier feeding a reservoir capacitor - the capacitor basically acts as a battery.

So is calling it a "filter capacitor" something of a misnomer? or is that OK, since that is what it's doing, functionally speaking if not technically?
Whatever you call it, DC blocking happens always and providing a low impedance path to GND for fast AC signals always happens.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…