Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lust heared a rumor about vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjvh

Hi just want to check if somebody knows what's going on

yesterday somebody told me that vista is already doomed and is not upraded anny more but instead microsoft is developing again a new opperating program

it was a answer on tha question i asked if the software from a plc is suitible/workable in combination with vista

the sales man said that the industry is not suporting vista and still make their products operatable for XP and don't put anny money in running it on vista as this one is in his eyes already dead

for me it is importand to know because if i have a customer that runs only on vista (and yes they are out there) it means that quite a few industrial controls are basicly useless for them (so i also have to convince them that they have to swich back in their opperating program in order to sell these controls)

anybody have some more info on this topic???

Robert-Jan

I doubt that Vista is dead. When XP came out it was pretty unstable for many folks till SP1 came out. As for Vista when it's SP1 comes out I'm sure it'll be fine.
As for me I have zero reason to update to Vista, I just want something to run my apps and not crash. Linux just doesn't support the apps I need such as MPLAB or BF1942 else I'd probably switch.
Vista I really don't need a fancy desktop, I don't care if my OS is pretty.

Can anyone give one good reason to use Vista over XP?

Last edited:
It has a V, which is before X in XP. Simple, yet brilliant!

Ah Vista, the operating system nobody wants. :D It pretty much sucks. Microsoft knows they're in trouble, though they will never admit it. They're frantically working on its replacement, Windows 7, due out in 2009. Maybe they'll get this one right, but don't hold your breath. It usually takes them five tries to get anything close to right. :p

I doubt that Vista is dead. When XP came out it was pretty unstable for many folks till SP1 came out. As for Vista when it's SP1 comes out I'm sure it'll be fine.

Except that SP1 came out over a month ago. For the most part it seems that folks who already liked Vista liked the service pack; those who didn't, didn't.

As for me I have zero reason to update to Vista, I just want something to run my apps and not crash. Linux just doesn't support the apps I need such as MPLAB or BF1942 else I'd probably switch.

For less than Windows XP you can download Linux, buy VMWare Workstation, and run things under that. I typically have 5 desktops going, and often have XP running on one of them. No problems so far (although some of the networking stuff is a little tricky at first).

I keep meaning to try MPLAB under wine. Mind you, I keep meaning to try PICs. I have a big order to DigiKey to put in soon so I hope to tack some onto there. (OT: Bill, any recommendations for a good first PIC?)

Vista I really don't need a fancy desktop, I don't care if my OS is pretty.

I've been in that camp for years--and then I turned on Compiz on Ubuntu. I actually find that I am constantly using the eye-candy tricks: the desktop cube lets me maintain a good mental map of where I have things on the various desktops; I can hold down Alt and slide my finger up and down the side of my touchpad to fade the current window if I want to peek at what's behind it (sometimes useful for a quick glance at a long process running in a terminal behind FireFox, say), hold down the Windows key and slide and I zoom my desktop, and so on. And it makes Aero look quite outdated and clumsy while actually being faster and more responsive. I don't notice a system slowdown under normal use when running it with all my favourite toys turned on.

It's the geek version of an impending mid-life crisis, I'm sure.

Mind you, most of what I do is programming, which doesn't take a lot of system resources since I work mostly on the command line. When doing audio recording, editing, or mastering, I pare back down to the necessities.

Can anyone give one good reason to use Vista over XP?

Oh my. No. Not I. XP Pro is the best OS MS has ever made as far as I'm concerned.

Torben

Last edited:
my problem is that the industy doesn't suport vista
i had already the problem with VSD (variable speed drive) software that didn't work with vista

no it is also the case with the plc

the thing is that if you want to sell these things to customers and especialy non technical people that think that the latest version of something is the superior version of the product availible
it's realy though to explane that they have to swich back to a for them an second grade system in order to be able to have the interface with the industrial equipment

Robert-Jan

yesterday somebody told me that vista is already doomed and is not upraded anny more but instead microsoft is developing again a new opperating program

This is kinda my field of expertise. That is not a rumour but pretty much a fact. I cannot disclose all the info about it (those nasty NDA's we all have to sign) but take into account that
- vista kernel is dumped in garbage, m$ is not working on it any more
- sp1 replaces vista's kernel with w2k8 kernel
- m$ is working on new desktop os (win7)

So, from these 3 facts (that m$ do not deny) you can conclude that work on vista has stopped, that they changed the kernel so they can supply critical patches while not actually working on vista (as they work on w2k8 kernel to make w2k8 better).

In general, as many said before, there is a line one can draw between winme and vista ... but that goes outside realm of this forum so I will stop here...

as for the eye candy vista offers, every single visual improvement you see in vista you can get on XP using 3rd party software ... not to mention running linux+beryl/compiz

well guys isnt XP the official vista upgrade ????

Microsoft will always have at least 2 OS's in the works. During the development of XP they had started on Vista. During the development of Vista they were working on the followup to Vista.

If they did not do this the OS's would be too far apart.

It is not a secret that they are having problems.

One of them is that the programmers change jobs frequently. After 2 or 3 years most or all the programming positions have turned over. None of the new people fully understand the code. At some point they give up and start over, salvaging what they can from the previous effort. A nearly endless loop. At some point they salvage what they can and release it. Vista!

This problem is not limited to Microsoft or OS development.

Last edited:
I've never liked Windows, it's a resource hog. Would have stuck with DOS, if that had been an option. I've held out and skipped several versions of Windows, looks like I'll be missing Vista.

Just seems ridiculous to load up your computer with a bunch of crap most users will never use. Vista needs 1 gig of ram, just to run. Why should the operating system take up more RAM, disk space, and processor time, than the applications you use?

Every new release of Windows, has usually meant the need to buy a new computer, just to get similar performance out of your apps. Windows is a cancer, it keeps growing, and takes over all resources until the computer is almost useless. They should focus on a smaller, more efficient version. Let the user choose what features they want or need. My major problem is that most apps are released as either Windows or MAC, no other choice.

The new Windows is suppose to work more like the iphone interface. Got a hunch that might run into some copyright problems. Perhaps the death of windows, a patched up version of Vista, that they may not be able to sell, or have to pay Apple for the rights. Could be years before the courts resolve the issues, so looking forward to a lot of quick fixes while the two giants battle.

They should focus on a smaller, more efficient version.

If they did that then all your old software would fly, you wouldn't buy any new software and thousands of companies would go out of business. That's no way to run an industry. :rolleyes:

Mike.

what is damned annoying is hardware companies, that can't be ar$ed to provide vista drivers, and when you ask them how to get your scanner working, they tell you to buy a new one.........

XP Pro is the best OS MS has ever made as far as I'm concerned.
Torben
Amen to that, brother! I am right at home with XP Pro. Despite MS' intentions to have SP3 as their final update, it wouldn't surprise me if a third party was to write SP4 or some sort of patch if ever needed.

Interested in Windows 7?
Click here to learn more on the topic:https://windows7news.com/category/rumours/
From there you can navigate the tabs at the top of the page.

I've never liked Windows, it's a resource hog. Would have stuck with DOS, if that had been an option. I've held out and skipped several versions of Windows, looks like I'll be missing Vista.

Just seems ridiculous to load up your computer with a bunch of crap most users will never use. Vista needs 1 gig of ram, just to run. Why should the operating system take up more RAM, disk space, and processor time, than the applications you use?

Every new release of Windows, has usually meant the need to buy a new computer, just to get similar performance out of your apps. Windows is a cancer, it keeps growing, and takes over all resources until the computer is almost useless. They should focus on a smaller, more efficient version. Let the user choose what features they want or need. My major problem is that most apps are released as either Windows or MAC, no other choice.

Just my opinion, but I think VISTA was written basically for System Admins., and the home version for grandparents and the like who shouldn't have a computer to begin with! Both my mother-in-law & brother-in-law use Vista and all I can say is they don't call me anymore with problems since they quit using Win. ME and XP Home. Vista IMHO, is for the "sheeple".
**broken link removed**

I haven't actually tried Vista so I can't say I hate it but I've heard lots of bad thing about it which are probably true.

I don't like Microsoft much by that's a different story.

Vista will succeed, there's no way it won't, Microsoft will throw so much money at it and the developers of thrid party software that it can't possibly fail.

Just my opinion, but I think VISTA was written basically for System Admins., and the home version for grandparents and the like who shouldn't have a computer to begin with! Both my mother-in-law & brother-in-law use Vista and all I can say is they don't call me anymore with problems since they quit using Win. ME and XP Home. Vista IMHO, is for the "sheeple".

hi hitech,
IIRC, if you check the statistics, you find that 'wrinkleys' are a very high percentage of regular PC users.
Are you telling me when you reach retirement you are going to bin your PC,
I don't think so.:p

Vista is another matter, I just want a simple operating system, XP Pro works just fine.
I even use the 'classic' display format, with all the 'trimmings' deselected.
I dont want a 'pretty' desktop, just functional gets the job done.!

Hows that for an 'Old Guy'........:)

Vista is another matter, I just want a simple operating system, XP Pro works just fine.
I even use the 'classic' display format, with all the 'trimmings' deselected.
I dont want a 'pretty' desktop, just functional gets the job done.!

Hows that for an 'Old Guy'........:)

So you have a black wallpaper to save power too? Or a white one? Depending on your monitor?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
So you have a black wallpaper to save power too? Or a white one? Depending on your monitor?:rolleyes:

hi,
I dont see the connection....:confused:
Please enlighten me. [pardon the pun]

It could be argued that white wallpaper being reflective would mean I could use a smaller light bulb for the room..:p

My monitor is 19inch TFT, set for 1280 * 1024, 32 bit colour, second monitor 17inch same settings connected via a USB screens expander.

Regards

hi,
I dont see the connection....:confused:
Please enlighten me. [pardon the pun]

It could be argued that white wallpaper being reflective would mean I could use a smaller light bulb for the room..:p

My monitor is 19inch TFT, set for 1280 * 1024, 32 bit colour, second monitor 17inch same settings connected via a USB screens expander.

Regards

It's more functional and practical than a pretty picture and gets the job done!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back