Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lust heared a rumor about vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have the pretty bits turned off, my XP sort of looks line Windows 98. I don't need shadows, rounded corners that sort of thing. I do like clearview and full color depth though.

I also have the pretty bits turned off, my XP sort of looks line Windows 98. I don't need shadows, rounded corners that sort of thing. I do like clearview and full color depth though.
Hehehe, you guys... :D Mine is cranked. Every eye candy thing there is (there aint much in XP) is turned on and maxed out. I didn't build this nice machine to idle and look like a 1990's Pentium3. :p

I try to cut Windows down to the bare minimal, unfortunately there is still a huge pile of crap no one seems to know if it's safe to remove or disable. got to be careful not to kill the beast (yeah, the one in Revelation). My computer is a tool, and I tend to push it kind of hard sometimes. Doubt I'll ever own a computer that is fast enough, and Windows ain't helping. I do a little video editing, and some 3D rendering, as well as a few other math intensive interests. Takes time and patience to render the finished project, usually start it before bed, done when I wake up (sometimes).

Guess you can be impressed with what Microsoft puts out, or you can use your computer to create your own...

hi hitech,
IIRC, if you check the statistics, you find that 'wrinkleys' are a very high percentage of regular PC users.
Are you telling me when you reach retirement you are going to bin your PC,
I don't think so.:p

:)
There's a real difference when it comes to me since I deal with 'puters daily as part of my job... and I'm required to stay updated amongst a variety of software. You younger generation here don't know what life is without 'puters and videogames... they were always around. Just as my grandparents can tell me stories of their younger days without radio or tv technology. Despite the fact that a high % of "wrinkleys" regularly use 'puters, my point was their proficiency at it. I'd bet a dollar easily that a good majority of them have never used their 'puter to its full potential. Overwhelmingly, they are interested in email, storing photos from digital cameras that they (again) do not use to full potential, net surfing and simple on-line games like POGO, Bejeweled, or Poker!! I wonder how many seniors who own current technology systems have even burned a disc yet? Have they clicked on System Tools? Have they ever opened Device Manager? Oh, wait a minute... that's what Vista was supposed to magically do for the "sheeple". You'd be surprised at how many adults who have owned VCRs throughout the years and never figured out how to set the clock so the display wouldn't keep flashing 12:00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heck... VCR mfgrs. learned of this techno-ignorance and came up with automatic time set, VCR+ for idiot-proog programming, and auto-tracking to eliminate the need to manually tweek it!!
As much as it seems that I'm criticizing seniors and their technological flounderings... I'm really not---- it's just that they had to adapt and learn the emerging technology around them... if they desired to. VISTA basically performs many routine decisions and light tasks in a system safe manner (really? -- more like pain in the ass!). It lets users spend more time computing than managing and tweeking--- or at least it's supposed to work out that way.

There's a real difference when it comes to me since I deal with 'puters daily as part of my job... and I'm required to stay updated amongst a variety of software. You younger generation here don't know what life is without 'puters and videogames... they were always around

Hi Hitech,
Carefully read your reply, I dont disagree with most of your comments.:)

I like the phrase You younger generation it makes me feel young again and not in my 76th Solar Orbit.!:p

Its a pity the word 'computer' is applied to this electronic gizzmo under my desk.
One always associates the damn thing with 'computation' which most times its not.

The modern mobile phone is going the same way, multimedia overload..a flat battery and a soaring phone bill.
I still use my Nokia 3310, it works just fine as a phone.!

Regards.

PS: I'll read the manual on my DVD player, on how to set the clock.If I have a probem I'll get back to you..:rolleyes:

Astalavista Baby.!!

Last edited:
**broken link removed** Idiots.
Wow! that sucks and the attitude stinks.

It is a rare large company that can get things right. Most of us can think of examples.

I worked for a company that sold equipment. We had an opportunity to spin off our software as unique products. Instead we gave the software business to 3rd party so we could focus our effort on the hardware. In the end our division closed its doors. The 3rd party is doing fine.

Support for XP and availability on new'puters was to end at end of June but MS just extended it for 2 more years but limited the 'license' only on low end offerings.
Any one put SP3 on their XP yet? I found even with SP2 it was best to wait for it to get unkinked and de-bugged.
MS makes OS's "Obese' because they pay code writer programmers'piecework'.
when I built my puter I originally had a Trios switch and had Mandrake8.2,RedHat 9 and an early version of redhat with an Amiga port-over on top .
Had a lot less problems with Linux.I am always 'cleaning'XP
I am thinking of building a new 'puter with a pair of 1207 sockets(F)pair of opteron quads.I wish there was a Trios for SATA hdrives.Yes I know how to multi-boot.I even read at newegg someone had XP,Vista-64,and a Mac OS on one of these dual F socket Asus MB's.

I've had SP3 installed for about 2 weeks and had no problems. Can't say I noticed any fixes either.

Mike.

Hmm and you lost a fingertip around the same time. Coincidence... I wonder...

Lol, actually, now you mention it, I do remember worrying about what effect SP3 would have just before said event. Maybe I have a claim against Microsoft for a gazillion dollars. :D

Mike.

Lol, actually, now you mention it, I do remember worrying about what effect SP3 would have just before said event. Maybe I have a claim against Microsoft for a gazillion dollars. :D

Mike.

With the right lawyer, maybe you could get a few bucks out-of-court settlement... The bad publicity, and the tens of thousands of dissatisfied Windows users out there willing to file such a suit, would be enough for MS to want to keep it quiet. Small claims court filing fee is $255.00 here, don't know about Civil Court. Who knows, remember somebody suing because their coffee was served too hot, and won...

I slip-streamed SP3 to my XP Pro and did a fresh install on a newer PC I'm working on... so far, so good... no issues.

There's nothing new in SP3, it's just all the bug fixes since SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back