Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

magnet to magnet force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad777

**broken link removed**

These are results of the measurement:

mm| grams
81| 1
68| 2
60| 3
58| 4
55| 5
50| 6
47| 9
40| 15
37| 21
32| 33
28| 47
25| 62
21| 110
15| 254
12| 380
10| 430
7| 1000

My main question is:

If I know B1 for a point in space and then
introduse permanent magnet of a known B2 to that point
whaqt will be the force on permanent magnet?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

If you consider this then there is no way to calculate F from B without including in your equations
atomic currents or electric charge...

Edit:

What about replacing permanent magnet with electromagnet with no core that produces equivalent B?
Equivalent electromagnet, but if we don't know N or I what is the overall description?
Something that measures in C*m/s .
A*m?

Edit2:

pole strength:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere-meter

Last edited:
I"ve wondered the same thing myself. I wanted to calculate the force on a relay plunger, for instance, but I could never find an equation. And that despite I studied electro magnitism in college.

Could the formula be:

F= B1 * H2 * S

F-force
B1-magnetic field in the point
H2-magnetic field strength of the magnet
S- surface of the magnet pole

What do you think?

Edit:
I found the answer on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_between_magnets

Last edited:
For two permanent magnets of strengths H1 and H2 the force between them is proportional to H1*H2 divided by the square of their separation, IIRC.

Yes but he said "calculate the force on a relay plunger". Every relay I've seen had some type of iron frame on the coil, and the armature completes some magnetic path within the iron frame so you can't do a force calc based on the coil characteristics (ie; current, number or turns). You need to know all the characteristics of the mechanical construction including the iron frame and/or armature. Empirical measurement of the force is a much better option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back