Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Main circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

WG1337

Hi!
Today at school we had a lecture about simple electricity wirings in houses/buildings.
There where 2 types how to wire a socket - radial and ring circuit.
The teacher didn't tell us anything about them, but I think after some time using google I understood, but too many questions are not answered.
Is there a good book or any other material that would explain about wiring electricity in your house (to the last detail possible), that someone could recommend?
Currently I understood the ring circuit, but the radial circuit is still a problem.
Most diagrams show only 1 wire, but I need to know how will all 3 go there, and lets not forget about light circuits.

Currently I understood the ring circuit, but the radial circuit is still a problem.
Ring circuit - The cable goes from the distribution box to the first socket, on to the second socket... etc... and finally back to the distribution box.
There are effectively two current paths from the distribution box to each socket.

Radial circuit - The cable goes from the distribution box to the first socket, on to the second socket... etc... and finally to le last socket.
There is only one current path form the distribution box to each socket.

Most diagrams show only 1 wire, but I need to know how will all 3 go there, and lets not forget about light circuits.
A single line diagram. They make the drawing simpler without losing clarity.

Each line represents Line, Neutral and Earth wires.
At the distribution board and sockets:
the Line wire connects to the Line terminal,
the Neutral wire connects to the Neutral terminal,
and the earth wire connects to .... you get the idea.

Drawing all three wires would just result in a spaghetti like drawing with no real advantage.

JimB

Found some e-book (not sure if was free) and understood how to wire radial circuit.
From other diagrams it was bit confusing to have just 1 wire at the end, but now I understand that there are actually 3, but doesn't go back.
But a little bit about ring circuit... does the HOT really connect back to HOT?
Doesn't that affect anything to the lets say my own generator?

Found some e-book (not sure if was free) and understood how to wire radial circuit.
From other diagrams it was bit confusing to have just 1 wire at the end, but now I understand that there are actually 3, but doesn't go back.

But a little bit about ring circuit... does the HOT really connect back to HOT?
Yes.
If you connected it back to the neutral or earth, there would be a big flash and a band when you closed the main switch!:eek:

Doesn't that affect anything to the lets say my own generator?
Not sure what you are asking here.
Yes you could connect your own generator to a ring circuit.
But beware, if your own generator is a back-up to the grid supply, be sure that your generator cannot back-feed into the grid when the grid is down.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back