Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

max232 circuit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.man

hey guys i have these questions for u

1. how do we choose the values of the four capacitors of a max232.

2. are they have to be only polarised ones?

3. i sometimes see V+(pin 2) connected to Vcc via a capacitor or connected to GND via that capacitor- is there any good practice btw the two?

4. thank you

Have you looked at the datasheet for the Max232? It shows a typical application. They used 1uf caps all around. I'd go ahead and use polarized ones at least for the charge pumps.

To reduce noise on most ICs it's always a good policy to connect up a decoupling capacitor which is tied from Vcc to Ground. A .1uf ceramic does the trick and they are pretty small. It protects the IC from noise imposed by other circuitry connected to that supply.

Hope that helps. Most of the issues you wouldn't see unless you had an oscilloscope. But the more complex your circuit is the more potential for noise there is and problems that crop up.

Michael

The MAX232A (and ST202 and some others) can actually use 0.1-uf (100nf) monolythic caps (inside of the machined pin socket in the picture below).

max202-cap-trick-jpg.8477

i'm sorry, i don't really get you abt Q.3. r u trying to say the best practice is to connect V+ and Vcc with a capacitor? or V+ to ground via decoupling capacitor(o.1uf)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back