Measuring current consumption on PCB circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faiz_1989

Hi all,

I have a problem with my measurement method. I was required to measured current consumption on a PCB circuit board, but I was confused of putting probe terminals. From the attached image, can someone assist me, where can I put my multimeter probes to measure a current consumption for the circuit? Your assistant will be very helpful, thanks.

Attachments

• current_measurement.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 265
Looks blured on my screen (could be my screen), but you can disconnect the input and put the red multi meter wire to the power source and the black meter wire to the input of the board, make sure probes in correct meter sockets and meter on correct Amp setting.

You can do low side as well. which is disconect the ground connection to power supply and do as above, because your pic shows many grounds I couldnt see well I chose high side for you. HTH.

As I cant see the drawing well, someone please check I am right on this drawing, I am using a TV screen and detail gets lost

At what point do you need to measure current?
Where it says 200ma, or over all?
If you need to do it at some point on the board you will need to measure the voltage across a resistor and calculate the current.

Many current meters have a voltage burden which can throw a 3.3V system way off. it's easy to make a feedback ammeter for 1-10 mA, but harder to make one to go to 100 mA which I did. It was actually bias able from +-10 V.

If there's clocks involved, it's even harder.

If the load is "resistive" you can use a scope with math once you get the current signal. Compute the product and average if resistive.

You place the ammeter/DMM etc. between the PCB analog ground and the power supply analog ground connection. Note, chassis earth is different here, and is used for noise handling.

I do the same as Mosaic stated, and/or I read the current off my psu that is supplying the board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…