Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Meter/gauge for car

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbrew

Hello, I would like some advice on building a meter/gauge circuit for my car. I would be monitoring various inputs like air/fuel ratio, oil pressure, boost, etc. I am not worried about how to get the signals for the stuff I want to monitor, but I would like to know what route I should take as far as the actual measurement of these signals. After some searching around here my first thought was to use an ICL7107 and a 3 1/2 digit 7 segment display. However, I also see that I can do much more using a microcontroller. I have some experience with digital circiuts, but none with microcontrollers. There seems to be very many options for microcontrollers, ie. AVR, PIC, 8051. How would I determine which to use? Where can I find out more about programming them? I am overwhelmed by the amount of informantion on this subject. Thanks.

Nevermind, I found the sticky in the microcontroller section. I will post back with some more specific questions later.

Last edited:
I think you may need something like this :

**broken link removed**

No point reinventing the wheel eh :D

Thank you for replying, but as my car is somewhat modified, I would be using aftermarket sensors, such as a wideband O2 as opposed to the factory narrowband, or pressure transducers to read turbo boost above what the factory maxes out at. After researching the microcontroller idea a little, it seems as though that is over my skill level right now. I am going back to the 7107 idea and am trying to work out some logic to be able to use a pushbutton to switch inputs.

I was about build something similar 10 years ago for a motorbike, an 8051 using I2C for sensor readings. Just remeber that the ICL7107 is just a naked voltmeter, you could buy a $10 multimeter and achieve the same result, with all the "hard" work taken out.

hmmmm, i'm embarking on a similar project. my car was heavily trashed^H^H^Hi mean modded by a previous owner and i want to restore some gauge function but using digital tools.

Just wanted to post an update of my progress if anyone is interested. i decided to go with a PIC16F88. So far I have only one input. i am working on how to switch inputs and reset the MAX indication.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back