Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microprocessor control of a 12Vdc motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptewright

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what are possible ways to control a 12Vdc motor from a microprocessor? I have a 12Vdc supply, but the output from the microprocessor is 5Vdc, so what do i need to add to interface between these components?

Thanks

The best way is to use a NMOS MOSFET as a low side driver and use the PWM output from your processor as an input to the FET gate. Depending on how much current the motor takes this should work. If the motor takes a lot of current or the MOSFET gets hot while in use you can add a MOSFET driver to drive the FET gate with 12V. If you just want on/off control you dont need to wory about the PWM.

Brent

Is it is a closed loop (i.e. computed measures and controls speed/direction) or open loop (i.e. computed just controls speed/direction but does no measuring)?

bmcculla said:
The best way is to use a NMOS MOSFET as a low side driver and use the PWM output from your processor as an input to the FET gate. Depending on how much current the motor takes this should work. If the motor takes a lot of current or the MOSFET gets hot while in use you can add a MOSFET driver to drive the FET gate with 12V. If you just want on/off control you dont need to wory about the PWM.

Brent

Could you suggest some NMOS MOSFET and MOSFET drivers (ie part #s)that I should get?

Go to digikey.com and do a search for mosfet. Digikey has a great parametric search. Look for something in a TO-220 package that can carry the current required for your motor. Same idea for the mosfet driver (you might not need a mosfet driver if you arn't putting much current through the mosfet).

Brent

bmcculla said:
Go to digikey.com and do a search for mosfet. Digikey has a great parametric search. Look for something in a TO-220 package that can carry the current required for your motor. Same idea for the mosfet driver (you might not need a mosfet driver if you arn't putting much current through the mosfet).

I would suggest looking for much higher specified FET's, your motor has basically three current requirements (actually a spread across the full range).

1) No load - low current.
2) Normal use - medium current.
3) Stalled - extremely high current.

If you only select your FET's for normal use, if the motor stalls it will probably blow them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back