Microwave-SharpR-350Y(W)/(S)

Status
Not open for further replies.

april

I bought a new one of these
Whenever I turn it on a timed cooling event occurs.
Even if I turn it on and then off again in 1 second , it runs a full minute with the fan blowing and cooling displayed in the LCD

Any one know how to disable it ? It will be incredibly wasteful of power over its lifetime if I don't .
Don't mind it cooling if I have cooked something for 5 minutes and something has had a chance to get hot but this RUN no choice is a bit ridiculous. Designed to break down soonest !

Have you monitored it on a power monitor ? My microwave has a manual function (called Deodorisation) that you can run which vents and cools the cooking compartment. It runs for 4 minutes (which you can cut short) and consumes around 60 watts. I estimate that we use this function around once a day on average. This is an annual usage of 22Kwh which is around £2.50 over here.

I've had the microwave for 12 years and it's as new. My parents have just given away one they bought two years ago which had started to rust/corrode inside from condensation - it didn't have a vent / cooldown function.

I suspect your microwave has the cooldown period hard coded into its firmware and your chances of bypassing it will be virtually zero. Your only other option would be to kill the power at the wall socket but you may find this reduces the lifespan of the microwave through other means.

It will be incredibly wasteful of power over its lifetime if I don't .

If it's just running a fan, then it's not using much power at all.

Anyway, what do you mean by 'turn it on'?, do you mean turning the mains on to it?.

Ok - got my maths totally wrong there ......

60w x 4 minutes = 4 Wh
4 Wh x 365 days = 1460 Wh or 1.46Kwh so around £0.18 per year to run

I suspect yours will be similar if not a quarter of that so I wouldn't be too worried about the energy wastage. You'll probably find the standby power is far in excess of this anyway.

That "cooling period" is just operating the internal fan deliberately to remove any condensation that may have built up in the appliance over the unknown period when it was turned off.

Like all MWO's it is designed to be left switched on!

I just plugged my Sharp MWO into my power meter, and in standby is draws so little mains power it does not even register on the current or kWh meter. According to the current meter it is under 0.01A, at 240v that is less than 2.4 watts. And yes, I did check the MWO was on and its fluorescent clock was working.

<2.4 watts works out less than 1 cent a day at my local electricity price.

Turn it on means press the microwave start button ,nothing to do with the plug
It happens immediately I hit the stop button
It holds the light on and the fan running and flashes "cooling" on the display so that's what you should look at when calculating a fair cost, plus the inconvenience that you can do nothing else while it cycles through this . You cant start it again until the cooling stops

So you bugger around for one minute waiting for it to go on wearing itself out for nothing before you can proceed with the next operation and you think I can do nothing about it . Wrong , I can dump it and never buy one of their products again and if I don't find a solution ,that's exactly what I will do.

Last edited:
Have noticed reading the owners manual, that the stop button needs to be pressed twice, does this stop the cycle? One wonders why you would press start then stop in a couple of seconds? These ovens use a cook sensor so need to clear the oven of steam & fumes for reliable operation. Perhaps you need a basic microwave oven not a fancy one?

No you dont press it twice . .If you do nothing happens because after the first press all switch responses are shut out until the "cooling" cycle stops. I often make mistakes on the timing intervals and change my mind etc as I am very inexperienced as yet and not much of a cook.
I thought this was a basic one . It was under $200

This rotten thing also annoys you if you put something in to heat it up and then don't take it out . It gives three Looooong beeps each minute until you do something to silence it . What a bloody pest machine

Dont buy one !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…