Mike-OP-AMP strange question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.power

Hey guys,

Sorry but I have got a Strange question,
Can I connect one pin of a Mike to a non inverting op-amp and the other pin of the said mike to another non inverting or maybe to an inverting op-amp (instead of connecting it to the negative or ground source) and expect it to normally work?
This question came to my mind when I was thinking that 2 output pins of a mike are 180 degrees out of phase.
Hope my mean makes sense...

It will work, but each input (if they have equal input impedance) would see only 1/2 the total voltage from the Mic, so you wouldn't gain anything by such a connection.

Last edited:
Don't forget that for electret mics you need to supply a voltage for the mic to work at all.

It will work, but each input (if they have equal input impedance) would see only 1/2 the total voltage from the Mic, so you wouldn't gain anything by such a connection.

Sorry crutschow, I am not able to understate what you told. Why that will happen? What's the difference between doing so or just connect one pin to the ground or to the negative supply?

Sorry crutschow, I am not able to understate what you told. Why that will happen? What's the difference between doing so or just connect one pin to the ground or to the negative supply?

The benefit I think is for whiles that you need 2 outputs having 180 degrees out of phase. You can use 2 op amps one in non inverting state and the other in the inverting state and connect the input of inverting op amp to the output of the non inverting op amp while the gain for the inverting op amp is just one. The if you feed the non inverting op amp by a mike while the other pin of the mike is connected to the ground then you'll get 2 outputs having 180 degrees out of phase.
I just thought maybe we do not need to use such a connection but just connect the 2 pins of the mike to 2 op amps and get 180 degrees out of phase output without connecting th one pin of the mike to the ground or connect the output of one op amp to the input of the other like I said in my first paragraph.

The difference is that with one pin to ground all the voltage appears across the other input. When you connect each pin to inputs with equal input resistance then each input sees only 1/2 the voltage. It's simple voltage division.

I don't understand why you are trying to do this. It has no advantage. What are you going to do with two signals 180 degrees out-of-phase? They tend to cancel each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…