Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

model airplane airspeed transmitter/receiver-tone only

Status
Not open for further replies.

vortex00

I'm interested in constructing a transmitter/rec that transmits to the pilot on the ground thru an earpiece. approx. 1000' range.
The result needed would be:

airspeed slow- higher pitched tone - beep beep beep
at desired speed- steady tone
airspeed high- lower pitched tone - beeep beeep beeep

Airspeed sensor would be by an AOA(angle of attack)vane varying the resistance of a pot.

could someone point me in the right direction?

thank you

Jack
vortex00@yahoo.com

vortex00 said:
I'm interested in constructing a transmitter/rec that transmits to the pilot on the ground thru an earpiece. approx. 1000' range.
The result needed would be:

airspeed slow- higher pitched tone - beep beep beep
at desired speed- steady tone
airspeed high- lower pitched tone - beeep beeep beeep

Airspeed sensor would be by an AOA(angle of attack)vane varying the resistance of a pot.

could someone point me in the right direction?

thank you
Jack
vortex00@yahoo.com
A simple variable-frequency tone would require slightly less weight and size. Just put the pot in a 555 oscillator and use that to amplitude modulate an RF transmitter. If you need beep-beep-beep, you could do that processing on the ground. Of course, it wouldn't require too much more space/weight to do the beeping in the plane.
**broken link removed** has a good 555 tutorial, and also lots of RC info.

Ron,
Thanks for the reply. It will get me started.

I'll look at the small Spy FM Tx if I can find one that gives me about 600-1000'. Rec to be a simple FM receiver on the belt with earpiece.

The real F-4 Phantom had a similar system before the ICs came. I wondered how it was done.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back