Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pomme

I am using a power MOSFET as a switch for an inductive load (1H). How do I determine whether or not I need a gate driver?

Thanks

It depends on what you're using to drive the gate which you haven't said.

For a low-side N-FET, you need to switch the gate from ~0V to ~3xVt (Vt is the Threshold Voltage from the FET data sheet, typically 10V for a non-logic-level FET). The gate driver needs to be able to charge and discharge the gate capacitance rapidly, so the driver must be able to source and sink > 100mA during switching, even though it takes no current to hold the FET On or Off.

I'm planning to use a PWM signal from a PLC to drive the gate. Does that mean that I need to determine the current coming from the PLC output?

Last edited:
Are you using the PWM signal to regulate the current in the 1 H load?

A few more details, like the switching frequency, the MOSFET that you intend to use, and the ratings of the PLC output would help.

My plan is to have the PWM signal going to the gate of the MOSFET (FDP5800), and the 1H load connected between a +42V battery and the drain - with a free-wheeling Schottky diode across the inductor. PLC output voltage is 24V.

In essence, yes the PWM signal will regulate the current through the load. How do I determine the switching frequency?

Like I said in my earlier post, it takes a good fraction of an Amp to charge and discharge the gate capacitance of a typical MosFET used as a PWM switch. You will be lucky if the output pin on your FPGA will source/sink more than 20mA at 5V, so a gate driver will be needed.

This circuit drives the gate using a driver made from discrete parts. I used only a 3.3V drive signal to show how the gate is driven with ~10V. You could use a 5V drive with no changes. This circuit charges the gate with ~200mA on the low to high input transition, and discharges the gate with ~180ma on the opposite transition. The purple trace is the power dissipation that occurs in the Fet at each transition.

Attachments

• NFetDriver.png
    NFetDriver.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 175
The arrangement of Q1, D1 and Q2 look familiar. ;)

True, my PLC signal would not be able to drive enough current to the gate. I am thinking of using a gate drive optocoupler instead of just a low-side gate driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back