Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosquito Repel help

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

I know this has been discussed before but im going away at the weekend to a place of millions of mosquito's.

Can someone point me to a super dooper high powered mozzie repellent schematic.
I know it may not work but its better than nothing...

I will also let you know the result after.

Cheers

Look in Google for Mosquito Repeller. Some liars still try to sell an electronic whistle that doesn't work. There are articles about chemical repellers that do work.

Lets come up with a design for a ground based zapper that uses a laser diode from an old DVD burner and a visual tracking system <chuckle>
(remember the movie "Spies Like Us")

Some liars still try to sell an electronic whistle that doesn't work.

Do you have any evidence to support this? I seem to remember that an electronic ultrasonic mozzie repeller used to work very well.

If you are going to be in one area and have power, a box fan with regular window screen taped to the exhaust side works very well.

Pregnant female mosquitoes are attracted to CO2 from our breath or from a propane mosquito bait unit.
They are also attracted by body odour if you stink.

My city also had a bad mosquito problem but now they put a larvacide in street drains and ponds. The mosquitoes and bats are gone.

Nets and DEET. I spent a summer in Alaska where the mozzies are required to carry transponders.

Do you have any evidence to support this? I seem to remember that an electronic ultrasonic mozzie repeller used to work very well.

**broken link removed** for you:

Google "extension agent ultrasonic mosquito control"

Last edited:
The article from the experts says that the Super Dooper ultrasonic gadget is "absolutely useless" and do not waste your money on it.
It is exactly the same as nothing. Use Deet instead.

Interesting reading! I can't speak for these new budget made household products, but we had a home made ultrasonic one many years ago that must have had a bit more "oomph" As I kid I would let the mozzies get close, then turn it on and watch the mozzies scatter.

But of course now science tells me it can't work. ;)

Since nobody can hear them, maybe none of the modern ultrasonic Mossie Repellers work.
Maybe their "circuit" is just a crumpled piece of aluminum foil.

You know the "shaker flashlights"? They use a big coil of wire and you shake a magnet from one end to the other to charge a rechargeable battery or a super-capacitor to light an LED. Most do not charge anything. They have a hidden little coin cell disposable battery powering the light until the battery goes dead.

Years ago a mate claimed he made an electronic mozzie repellent and claimed it worked a treat. After a few beers I got some info out of him and he said a sawtooth wave around 27khz was the bones of the design. So for fun I made up a BB circuit using a 555 and a pot, turned it on, had the pot turned down. Next thing a couple of mozzies appeared, I turned the pot up to near 1/2 way and both of them took off as fast as they could.

I'm sure our resident $crooge will try and debunk that it even worked but when we used go camping and had one going in the tents no-one got bitten by a mozzie...........

Maybe an ultrasonic Mossie repeller vibrates the wings of nearby mozzies which they don't like. Then you need to wear a repeller on your head, another on your belt and another around one or both ankles. I forgot about wearing a repeller on each wrist.

Lets come up with a design for a ground based zapper that uses a laser diode from an old DVD burner and a visual tracking system <chuckle>
(remember the movie "Spies Like Us")

Haha, you mean like this?
:D

Bryan1-
... So for fun I made up a BB circuit using a 555 and a pot, turned it on, had the pot turned down. Next thing a couple of mozzies appeared, I turned the pot up to near 1/2 way and both of them took off as fast as they could. ...

That pretty much matches my experience. I think these commercial ones might either not generate ultrasonics at the right freq or just at a very low power level (or not at all if they are junk chinese ones!)

Then there is probably a deliberate move on the part of the pest control officials to dissuade people from relying on junk ebay ultrasonic repellers rather than tried and proven poisons.

But since insects are generally sensitive to ultrasonics and many insects use those frequencies to communicate etc I have trouble believing the official catch-all line that "ultrasonic devices can not influence insects".

There probably some truth in ultrasonic repellents, but it probably also varies by location and species. If the device were to sweep across the effective range, it might work out pretty good, or if you had some way to change the frequency. Unlikely it would have been marketed, if it didn't work even a little. Somethings can only be cheapified so far, before becoming useless.

I built an ultrasonic cat repeller years ago (still functioning), but only works about half the time. Some cats respond to it, other ignore it, but most eventually get use to it. My Black Lab, is 100% effective, seldom even have to send him out, just his bark works. I see a cat on the security monitor, yell 'Jake, who's there', and he runs to the front door barking, cat flies.

Haha, you mean like this?
:D

I'm wondering if we can program a wii like this one

Tracking wii

Edit: Like shooting them in a game or something. Each time I get a hit an on screen display will have a mosquito zero into the ground with a crash. hahaha

Last edited:
I'm wondering if we can program a wii like this one

Tracking wii

Edit: Like shooting them in a game or something. Each time I get a hit an on screen display will have a mosquito zero into the ground with a crash. hahaha

Ha! I love it! :D :D

Soon I am going to get a de Haviland Mosquito RC airplane. It weighs 74 grams with Li-Po battery.

Attachments

• PKZU1380-450.jpg
    PKZU1380-450.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back