Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor type -> idea, experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boolx

Hello.

I am wondering what kind of motor should i use.

I am trying to control a arm(something like a arm)
that move horizontal and vertical.

i was thinking to use dc motor. but the feature will be only clock and anti clockwise.
i just found out the ability of stepper motor can allow me to get my position of the motor.

Now that I am working on a lifter project.
but i am wondering which type of motor should i use.
as the implementations of all type of motor are different .

:?: :roll: :?:

"horses for courses"

All depends on yr requirements and what you have to power the machine.
You were right for the first one. Stepper motors are very good for precise movements.

The lifter project depends on how much load, is it direct drive or via belt/chain, life of the project...., what machines you can get your hands on etc

give some details please

i am going to use that lifter to life light stuff
i.e. mail,stacks of 200 paper... some file..

i have some printer motor, floppy drive, and an 1.5v motor.

Eventually i will have to programme it. i want to get to the basic.
so if i can find a motor that is effiecient and not troublesome. this will be something fun and simple

A DC motor with gears is probably your best bet. Use a potentiometer to tell the current angle of the motor. This solution will give you lots of torque and you won't have to worry about loosing counts on a stepper motor. Look up PID control for a simple way to move the motor to the position you want. Jameco.com will have cheap gear motors and should have some large single turn potentiometers for the position feedback.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back