Multimeter measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.power

Hi guys,

Please somebody enlightens me and let me know if the commercial digital voltmeters (or ampere meters) are designed to measure the RMS value of any sine wave at ANY frequency or they must be used just at 50 or 60HZ?

Am I able to measure the RMS value of a sine wave at say 100KHz or even more? If no then what is the Maximum of frequency which they are able to support?
Here's my Digital multimeter:
**broken link removed**

Thanks

P.S what will happen if I measure a triangle or square voltage by a digital multimeter? What would the measured value?

Commercial voltmeters measure what their specification says they will measure.
The better the voltmeter the more detailed the specification.
Read the specification!

What your meter will read I have no idea, I gave up the will to live waiting for that site to load!

However it is most unlikely that the average DMM will read RMS at 100khz.

As for square waves and triangles, what the meter reads depends on its frequency response and whether it reads RMS or average.

JimB

Last edited:
Just to expand on what Noggin* said:

Frequency response:Range less than 200V: 40~400Hz
Range 750V: 40~100Hz
Displaying: RMS of sine wave (mean value response)
The meter responds the the mean (average) voltage, but is calibrated to display the RMS value when measuring a sine wave.
Any other waveshape and the displayed value could be anything.

JimB

*that avatar is very disturbing, even after all these years!

The better multimeters have circuits that measure the true RMS of any waveform (this feature would be listed in its specifications). You need one of those if you want to measure the accurate RMS voltage of anything other than a pure sine wave.

Here's my Digital multimeter:
**broken link removed**

Thanks

P.S what will happen if I measure a triangle or square voltage by a digital multimeter? What would the measured value?

No worries mate with this worthless/ ancient / cheapo / no-name / no auto range / and probably with fake specifications DMM,
the most that you will measure accurately are DCV.

If you ever think to buy an true T-RMS tool at the range of 150 to 200$ or better, I will offer you some advices, about serious multimeters.

Last edited:
No worries mate with this worthless/ ancient / cheapo / no-name / no auto range / and probably with fake specifications DMM,
the most that you will measure accurately are DCV.

Instead of just obfuscating and beating about the bush, why don't you get to the point and tell the truth.

JimB

The truth is more painful for the buyer .

And the truth are that I am a professional industrial electrician,
with some experience due my age (42).

And I feel very sad when I see young ones to need expensive tools,
and to not have the cash, so to buy them.

They buy the fake ones, and then they expect sweat-talk about those cheap and not usable devices.

This is the truth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…