Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiple applience controller with data acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gehan_s

Hi all,

I need to do a project for my final year in electronic engineering. I have narrowed things down (I think) to the above topic.

The idea is to make a device that takes inputs from sensors (eg - thermo couples, motor speed sensors) and control the particular appliance. It will also log the data (set value, actual value, faults etc) with time.

This is a very rough idea. Please help me to get things in order and any reference material would also be very helpful.

Is this something that the industry needs ?
What are other appliances that I can control ?
How can I improve this idea ?

Please help me in this regard.

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all,

I need to do a project for my final year in electronic engineering. I have narrowed things down (I think) to the above topic.

The idea is to make a device that takes inputs from sensors (eg - thermo couples, motor speed sensors) and control the particular appliance. It will also log the data (set value, actual value, faults etc) with time.

Not sure of the utility of such a device/project.

You'd expect that any normal appliance you might wish to "control" already has the necessary controls built-in.

Data logging might qualify but how much useful data can be gathered from a dishwasher, or an oven, etc.? Power consumed would be useful but, again, it sems somewhat weak as a goal.

Last edited:
Here is something I thought about doing and then found it was already available from Leviton, called Decora DHC. From what I have read about Decora, one might envision some improvements, not the least of which is reduction in price.

Basically, in a home, one needs to bring power to every appliance and fixture, and if the fixture (rarely appliance) is going to be remotely switched, you need power to the switch and runners to the appliance. The requirement for a runner can make remodeling quite difficult.

In the alternative everything just gets a power feed. Appliances and fixtures would also have a decoder added between the power and fixture/appliance with a unique address code. The decoder can be in the wall socket or the device. Wall switches would be replaced by programmable transmitters. Signal goes out over the live line (phase jumping has already been addressed by Decora).

So, all you need to do is design a simple DIY version. Please give us full construction details here, when you are finished.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back