Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiple connection switching IC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spestis

Anyone know of a company that sells an IC sized component that is capable of switching several connections? I need to mechanically switch 16 connections on and off. They would all use a very low amount of current. I would be able to use 16 small reed relays but I would rather use a smaller packaged part.

Really kind of depends on what you are switching. If its low current, maybe a 4066 quad Bi-direction switch. Opto-isolators might work, have some with 4 in a single dip package.

HarveyH42 said:
Really kind of depends on what you are switching. If its low current, maybe a 4066 quad Bi-direction switch. Opto-isolators might work, have some with 4 in a single dip package.

I was going to use it to disconnect the data connections to an lcd character display.

I have added a secondary character display to a handheld unit for a car. I can detach the secondary unit using an IDC connector. The problem is when both displays are ran in parallel they display incorrect characters. If am able to switch off the main display temporarily the secondary should work correctly.

I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to character displays. I would like to know why it is not possible to just run them in parallel. Are some data bits only making it to one display?
Here is a data sheet for the display that I’m using. LCM-S01602DSF/A. Which pins need to be disconnected to allow the other display to function properly?

Attachments

• LCM-S01602DSF+A-page1.pdf
    52.1 KB · Views: 176
  • LCM-S01602DSF+A-page2.pdf
    57.9 KB · Views: 311
  • LCM-S01602DSF+A-page1.jpg
    LCM-S01602DSF+A-page1.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 136
  • LCM-S01602DSF+A-page2.jpg
    LCM-S01602DSF+A-page2.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 142
Nigel Goodwin said:
I would have thought a pin labelled 'Enable' might give you a hint?.

If it is that easy, Great! I do well with component electronics, but I have never worked with character displays.

spestis said:
If it is that easy, Great! I do well with component electronics, but I have never worked with character displays.

I've never tried to parallel two of them, but an enable pin looks a good option to try!. Don't forget pull-up or pull-down resistors on the pins, to stop the unused one floating.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I've never tried to parallel two of them, but an enable pin looks a good option to try!. Don't forget pull-up or pull-down resistors on the pins, to stop the unused one floating.

Using a multimeter it looks like low level is used to Enable the display. Any idea what H,H is for? High, High does not make any since to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back